Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Can veeam tape diag tools run during active tape job?

Post by pkelly_sts »

Related to case 01808088

I was asked to run some tape diag tools as below:

I'm attaching our tape diagnostics tools to this email. Please extract tape-tools.zip to C:\temp on Veeam Server.
Then follow these steps:
• run command prompt as administrator
• cd c:\temp\3rd_p_tape_detector
• discover.exe -vp > discover.log
• cd c:\temp\Veeam_TapeHwTest
• Veeam.Backup.TapeHwTest.exe changer0 tape0 > TapeHwTest.log
• cd c:\temp\ScsiEnumeration
• ScsiEnumeration.exe > ScsiEnumeration.log

Can I run these whilst I have an active tape job running? (I've restarted the job because it takes so long to run I can't keep waiting for a response from Support when I have no idea how long I'll wait - I have also replied immediately to support to ask this question but, again, I have no idea how long I'll wait for the answer)

I need to know the answer sooner rather than later so I know if I need to kill/restart the job yet again.

(I can understand if a query back to a ticket requires some investigation etc. & don't expect immediate replies to such questions but it seems to me that most cases get a response once per day on average, if that, which is mind-numbingly frustrating with backup software as the nature of it (jobs that take hours to run, or can only run out of hours etc.) means that it can easily take 2/3 days for a question, response, test, feedback cycle to complete).
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Can veeam tape diag tools run during active tape job?

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Paul,

Tape tools were made specifically for support team, so it took some time to find the answers. Sorry for the delay and thankfully support team was faster.

P.S. If your case is not treated properly, you can use the Talk to a Manager option at the Customer Portal.
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Re: Can veeam tape diag tools run during active tape job?

Post by pkelly_sts »

As it happened the re-run of the tape job I'd started completed by the time I got the hotfix anyway (4.5hrs later) so it was a non-issue. As mentioned in the other topic the hotfix is installed so it's "watch this space" time...