Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Can you Endpoint backup a repository server to itself?

Post by pkelly_sts »

[I wasn't sure whether to post here on in the Endpoint forum as both are associated with my question but I thought I'd try here first.]

I am finalising our transition away from Backup Exec having moved our last few physical servers to Endpoint Backups to a physical Veeam repository server. This server is also our Backup Exec server & so has the tape library attached to it (as well as direct FC-attach to VMFS etc.)

This server also used to serve as a "dumping ground" file server which we're also transitioning away from but I now want to plan to complete the move away from BExec & so need a plan for backing up the system volume of this server to aid speedy recovery from a potential crash of this server.

I was hoping I might be able to install Endpoint on it, configured to back-up only the C: drive, but send it to the Veeam repository that happens to be itself. Is this feasible or will it leave me in a Matrix / Inception scenario? ;-)

If it can't work, what to folks around here use to back-up their physical repository server?

I know I could just do a backup to disk & then files to tape etc. but I *REALLY* want to be able to utilise the ability to (efficiently) copy the backups off-site.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Can you Endpoint backup a repository server to itself?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Paul,

If this repository is located on another volume, then you should be able to choose it in Veeam Endpoint backup job wizard.

Thanks!
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts »

Thanks Vitaliy, It is on another volume so I shall give it a try & report back...
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, just a small correction to my previous post - it will even work if you backup to the same volume that is specified as a source for the backup job, however please be aware that VEB backup files will be excluded from the backup job automatically.
ober72
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 136 times
Full Name: Geoff Burke

Post by ober72 »

Hi Guys,

Yes this works, although when doing it to the same volume I had to use file level endpoint and not volume level it gave me errors. Mind you I did not spend much time investigating since file level did the trick.
Geoff Burke
VMCA2022, VMCE2023, CKA, CKAD
Veeam Vanguard, Veeam Legend
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

ober72, out of curiosity - what was the error message in case of using volume level backup?
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts » 1 person likes this post

I can confirm that I've just completed the initial full (volume level) backup to the repository hosted on itself with no issues.

Happy days! :)
ober72
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 136 times
Full Name: Geoff Burke

Post by ober72 »

Vitaliy S. wrote:ober72, out of curiosity - what was the error message in case of using volume level backup?
I will have to go back and look, off the top of my head it was a timeout strangely enough even though it had started moving data.

cheers
Geoff Burke
VMCA2022, VMCE2023, CKA, CKAD
Veeam Vanguard, Veeam Legend
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, then it must be unrelated to the fact that you've selected the same volume. Thanks for going back for the error message details.