Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
pleibling
Novice
Liked: never

Re: Feature Request - Multiple Jobs

Post by pleibling »

I'm sorry - this means "Thanks a lot" (was iPad Autocorrection).

One strange Idea:

I create my Job to Backup to S:\Veeam_Backup, the Catalog and the Files are on this Place.

What if this is an iSCSI Backup Target, maybe Monday to Saturday is S: connected to Server 192.168.250.x (Remote Network) and on Sunday is it connected to my Server 192.168.50.x (an closed local Network).

VEB takes every Backup a look in the Catalog and calculate which files are needed, based on the Catalog in the specific Backup Target, right? If this works, i can create Tasks, thats connect/disconnect to specific Backuptarget based on the Day (PS: connect-iscsitarget ... / disconnect iscsitarget).

Or are the information in the lokal SQL Server, and this doesn't work.

Copy the Backup Files to an other Destination are no option, cause they are very large and they in an VPN Network.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

pleibling wrote:Is it possible to create a Powershell Script for a Second Job?
Not within the VEB, but you can use any script to copy the backup file, it can be batch, PowerShell or just a robocopy script.
pleibling wrote:I create my Job to Backup to S:\Veeam_Backup, the Catalog and the Files are on this Place.

What if this is an iSCSI Backup Target, maybe Monday to Saturday is S: connected to Server 192.168.250.x (Remote Network) and on Sunday is it connected to my Server 192.168.50.x (an closed local Network).

VEB takes every Backup a look in the Catalog and calculate which files are needed, based on the Catalog in the specific Backup Target, right? If this works, i can create Tasks, thats connect/disconnect to specific Backuptarget based on the Day (PS: connect-iscsitarget ... / disconnect iscsitarget).
Might do the trick, but every time there would be a full backup (after changing the backup target).
tom504
Lurker
Full Name: Tom Oliver

Post by tom504 »

I'd like to give me reason for multiple jobs.

We are using Endpoint in conjunction with Enterprise and leveraging the repository with Cloud connect to do offsite backups on physical servers. I would be great to do a full image backup and a second job of targeted data saved to the repository to push offsite. We have some customers with large disks and limited bandwidth.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Tom,
a full image backup
How about creating one standalone full backup which contains entire computer backup and then set the regular scheduled backup for only critical data?
Jan1
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Post by Jan1 »

In my opinion it is best to make a backup of your entire computer and important data regularly.
Example:
Critical data: for example, once a day
The entire computer: Once a month.

Then we avoid installing tens of updates after the recovery the entire computer. Currently I have to change the settings every time when I want to backup entire computer.

Still Feature Request.

Regards
Jan
Reyter
Lurker

Post by Reyter »

I would like to have multiple jobs also, so adding my voice to this thread.
I would like to have one job that backups up the system drive on my another hard disk (volume C to D or others), and a separate job that backs up many directories on drives D, E and etc.
asimov
Lurker
Full Name: seb

Post by asimov »

Hello from Nantes France
I would like to have multiple jobs also, so adding my voice to this thread. :D

Best regards
kopytov
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: kopytov

[MERGED] backup OS files and user files differently

Post by kopytov »

Hello!
User shared files on my server changes very often and I want to backup it by 6 hour.
OS files don't changes, and I want to backup it by 7 days.
Please, make feature, when shedule for user files and shedule for OS files can be set separately.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thanks for your feedback, as you can see this is a pretty often FR. On a side note, since OS files don't change they shouldn't take space in the backup repository with incremental backups, right?
Daneels
Novice
Full Name: Peter De Mol

Post by Daneels » 1 person likes this post

Hi all, I was checking the forums and bumped into this. I too have high interest in the multiple jobs FR. My use case is slightly different (as can be seen in this thread.

vmware-vsphere-f24/question-on-restorin ... ml#p195667

So bottom line:
  • If your workstation/server/whatever to be protected is really big in size (like ours 27Tb) you would rather split up (divide et impera) than have all your eggs in one basket
  • It turns out that VEB (only) is capable of restoring vRDM volumes to vRDM volumes (VBR can only do it from vRDM to vmfs based volumes)
  • I wouldn't mind if you would have some kind of restore agent present (and VEB is very close actually to such a restore agent) in a VM. Using that is should be possible to restore a volume present in VBR .vbk file to a local volume. (because with VBR I can have multiple jobs and a can make backups of vRDM disks.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Sounds reasonable, thanks Peter!
Daneels
Novice
Full Name: Peter De Mol

Post by Daneels »

Thx, nice to hear, well it would be nice to know if that would ever make it into an update of some kind for VEB at any point in time :-)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

This request is in the list, so yes there is a possibility. Can’t give you any ETA unfortunately.
DenG
Novice

[MERGED] Save multiple backup profiles

Post by DenG »

Hi,

I would like to know if it's possible to save more than one profiles within End point free or more exactly if I can schedule more than one backup. I thought I could find command line of veeam backup in the Microsoft scheduler but it's not the case and so, I think that this is made by the veeam service ?

thanks

Denis
Dima P.
Product Manager

Re: Save multiple backup profiles

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Denis,

VEB supports only one backup job.
cfnbuser
Lurker
Full Name: Miguel Mejia

Re: Save multiple backup profiles

Post by cfnbuser »

Let's make this a formal request to veeam dev pros : We want this feature for a future release.
Thanks for listening
Lyonel
Influencer
Full Name: Lyonel

Post by Lyonel »

Hi,

I'm from Rennes, France and i add my voice to this request.

I explain why:
In my company, we are letting down Atempo TiNa for Veeam at the end of the year.

On physical servers, i want to fully backup the volume C: but on D: i don't won't to backup everything, to reduce the place taken by jobs.

No logs, no SQL files, no source install folder.
Just the dump .dmp files

So i need endpoint backup agent make possible the multiple backup.

hope to see that in a near future.

thks
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Lyonel,

Unless the requirements are different, you can do that already today. Simply go to file-level backup, select the entire volume C (you will notice that it becomes a volume based backup) and then select the specific folder that holds the .dmp files (or the files explicity)

That can be done in a single job

Cheers
Mike
Lyonel
Influencer
Full Name: Lyonel

Post by Lyonel »

All right, merci

i try it. Must i check recovery and reserved partition?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Yes, I would do that because otherwise it will be much more difficult to do a bare metal recovery

Mike
r.horowski
Novice
Full Name: Robert Horowski

Post by r.horowski » 1 person likes this post

Hi All,

Just wanted to up vote this feature request. I have 2 laptops both with 2 hard disks (SSD + HDD). I run my OS (SSD) backup every 3 days and my primary target is internal HDD. This is because I need to have my OS backup with me. I already had two situations when my OS died when I was on business trip. Having my OS backed up on internal disk saved me because I could've begin restore immediately and after 30min or so had my OS back up and running (what a great feature). Now the problem is that with only one job I can backup only my OS and to only 1 location, but what I need is another job for OS (SSD) and data (HDD) that would run to my USB disk. This way I can have my OS ready for immediate restore always with me and an "offsite" backup of my entire laptop OS + data.
Without multiple jobs I can either have my OS backed up locally and ready when I need it OR backup of entire laptop NOT ready for quick restore (bringing my only backup on external HDD with me is not a good idea).
Currently I'm using VEB for taking my OS backup and some other software to backup my data disk to external USB disk, this is not a convenient solution as you can imagine. It would be awesome if I could do both with just VEB.

Regards,
Robert
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Robert,

Thanks for sharing your use case. This feature is planned, however, it won’t be included in the upcoming v2.
r.horowski
Novice
Full Name: Robert Horowski

Post by r.horowski »

Hello Dmitry,

I'm happy to hear this feature will be available in VEB! Can't wait to see it there :-)

Regards,
Robert
Skyview
Service Provider
Liked: 13 times

Post by Skyview »

Here is our use case for this-

We have a lot of physical servers geographically distributed across many customers. These fileservers host medical archive data. The retention policy is keep everything forever (common in medical field). So we have several partitions that gradually fill to 100% and then the application move on to fill the next partition in succession.

The reason we would like to have multiple jobs is these partitions are usually several terabytes in size. Once data is written it never changes, so once a partition is full it would be nice to transition the job into just running weekly for that one partition (mostly for health checks) and not have it part of some huge master job for all partitions.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Skyview,

So, you would like these filed partitions to be archived, right? Out of curiosity, what is retention for the archived data? Serveral years?
Skyview
Service Provider

Post by Skyview »

Forever. Never Delete.
sibinsam
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Sibin Sam

Post by sibinsam »

Please add my request also to multiple jobs support...!!
simplicity
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Rick Baranowski

[MERGED] Feature Request - VAW 2.0 - Multiple Jobs-Local cop

Post by simplicity »

We have been patiently waiting the release of Veeam Agent for Windows and as we are testing the Beta version there is two things that we would strongly request be added.

Local copy before sent to Cloud connected storage: We have been waiting for the 2.0 release so we can stop using two different backup software to get bare metal onsite and offsite but with the current 2.0 beta release we have no way to replace our current solution that we have in place for our customers.

Multiple Jobs: (different storage)We can see if there was an option for two different jobs that we could also work around that by sending one to local storage and one to cloud connect, either one be a viable solution.

This is geared towards all of the small shop customers that we have that are still running single physical servers which at that point looks like we are paying for the software. I can see this as not really a feature in the free version.

What does everyone else think?

(sorry if this covered some were else in the forum but couldn't find anything)
cthorpe
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Chris Thorpe

Post by cthorpe »

Simplicity - we have also been waiting patiently for VAW v2 and also need the ability to save to both local storage as well as Cloud Connect (especially for servers). You have my support!

Veeam - your products are amazing, but for the paid editions this is a real oversight.
Skyview
Service Provider

Post by Skyview »

Also another reason for multiple jobs- splitting up the vbk files.

Most of our servers have 10 or so partitions, anywhere from 2TB-4TB each, and usually about 50% or more of those partitions are full.

Being able to have multiple jobs would allow us to have multiple vbk files for that server, thereby spreading the risk of corruption taking out the entire backup data for the server. Plus, it makes it easier to recover from corruption. 1 of the 4TB partitions' backups got corrupted? Okay, not too terrible, just reseed that 1 job.

If there's 1 gigantic 50TB vbk file and it gets corrupted? Redoing that is a major ordeal.

Also then that means on really big servers you could have multiple jobs pointed at a SOBR repo, thereby making more efficient use of your storage and spreading out your risk of data loss on your backups.