PowerShell script exchange
rrsarge
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Backup Copy - set source repository

Post by rrsarge »

Hi,
I'm setting up many Backup Copy jobs via Powershell and am having trouble finding where I can specify which source backup repository to obtain VM data from. I am not linking these jobs to other backup jobs.

Thanks!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Backup Copy - set source repository

Post by PTide »

Hi and welcome to the comunity!

Could you please elaborate on "source backup repository"? When setting Backup Copy job you should specify a backup job, or VM, or an existing backup as a source, there is no option to specify the whole repository. Please check this reference guide and this thread. Please feel free to ask additional questions.

Thanks
rrsarge
Novice

Post by rrsarge »

During the Backup Copy job set-up there is an option to specify the source repository where the backup files reside. I would like to specify the local repository so the app does not attempt to look at remote repositories. Since I'm setting the backup copy job from a VM vs. a Backup job I think this would be prudent.

The setting is at: [Edit Backup Copy Job] -> [Virtual Machines] -> [Source...]

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

A quick question - does a target repository have backups of said VMs? Thanks.
rrsarge
Novice

Post by rrsarge »

If by "target repository" you mean the local, source repository, yes.

Again, the goal is to just tell the backup copy job to only look at specified repositories and not try to look at remote repositories. The setting, and guidance are on the screen I referenced above.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

My point was if the second (remote; target) repository doesn't contain any backups of particular VM, backup server won't even look at it; thus, the default settings would be more than enough. Thanks.
rrsarge
Novice

Post by rrsarge »

Sorry if I misunderstood. My thinking is that if I'm creating a backup copy job by selecting a VM from the virtual infrastructure inventory and not from an existing backup job, Veeam would have to scan the repositories to find the backup files. Is this not the case?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

I apologize for providing a bit misleading information.

If a scope of source repositories is not defined explicitly, a backup copy job will query all existing repositories to find restore points of specific VM. However, the query will take place inside product db, repository server (or their file systems) won't be touched.

My point is that the described procedure is far from being stressful or intensive and, thus, limiting the scope might not be necessarily needed.

Thanks.
rrsarge
Novice

Post by rrsarge »

Got it. Thanks!