Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tolgaunturk
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Tolga ÜNTÜRK

About Storage Type

Post by tolgaunturk »

Hi All,

I need to your opinion for storage. I have two choise for decice to production. First one is Dell MDF3600 Storage group nearly 140 TB. And the other one is Tape system which trade mark is IBM (TS3200 )or HP (LTO8) nearly 280 tb via 50 cassests. Price is a parameter but which one is mostly capabilities and use ?

Im waiting your opinions.

Regards
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: About Storage Type

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Tolga,
I`m a bit confused despite VBR supports Linear Tape-Open tape libraries starting from 3 generation (LTO3) or later, AFAIK, LTO-8 is not released yet.
Here is also the list of all tape libraries that were reported by your fellow forum members as compatible with Veeam. It doesn`t mean other libraries don`t work with VBR though.
Thanks!
tolgaunturk
Influencer

Post by tolgaunturk »

Hi ,

Thank you for reply. Also what do you think about performance ?

Thank you
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

Since the Dell option is disk-based I'd say that would likely give you better performance than a tape library.

Joe
blithespirit
Veeam Software
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Paul Szelsi

Post by blithespirit » 1 person likes this post

Hi Tolga, in regard to your first question, what is it you want to achieve with Veeam? do you want he ability to do quick restores such as instant restore, validation with SureBackup and SureReplica or do you just want long term data retention offsite such as Iron Mountain.
At the present time tape is limited in the offering the features which Veeam is rich in however it depends greatly on what YOu are wanting to achieve with your DR plan?

The MD3600F will offer better speeds and more features to make recovery much faster and simpler than tape.
tolgaunturk
Influencer

Post by tolgaunturk »

Hi blithespirit ;

Thanks for your explain. Its very usefull for us. But i need to learn something also. I want to use all VBR properties with 7 days retention policy. I will not use archive method. i will give a decide for which product i will choose. Can you give me more information differences between tape and disk based systems ?

Thanks a lot .
tolgaunturk
Influencer

Post by tolgaunturk »

Hi Again,

Also can you tell me which one is have best performance for taking backup ( write ) ?

Thanks
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

tolgaunturk wrote:Thank you for reply. Also what do you think about performance ?
Disk repository will give you better performance due to random read ability. It`s better to compare tape repositories vs. disk repositories in general than certain models.
I would also recommend you review this topic with the in-depth disk repositories discussion.
tunturk
Lurker

Post by tunturk »

Hi all,

Here the specific case below, with the hope to drive you more specific suggestions about the

Our current backup storages are;

- DELL MD3600F (raid 6)
- DataDomain DD620 (raid 6)
- IBM DS4800 (raid 5)

All of them are SATA. We have 150 TB of capacity in total. Our current backup data is 100 TB and delta is 10 TB/day (because of incremental backups), with 15-17 backup windows per day. Those storages are directly connected to the hosts via 8 Gbps f/o (not through network).

In view of total costs, tape option seems more economic then disk based storages in comparison. Beside, according to our surveys, tape technology seems to has a better sequent write performance..

The suggested tape units are IBM TS3200 or HP 4048 fiber, 2 drivers, 50 tape cartridges.

Regards,
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hi,
Architecture solution always depends on requirements.
In general we recommend 3-2-1 rule which can be achieved by Backup-to-Disk-to-Tape(B2D2T) or Backup-to-Disk-to-Disk(B2D2D) where primary storage is fast and used for short-term restores, secondary for historical backups.
Note that in case of tape restore you need to restore to disk first and then restore to production.
Thanks!
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 106 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Post by skrause »

Just to be clear, it sounds like you are trying to figure out what primary storage to use for your backups. Veeam does not support direct backup to tape as a primary medium. Veeam is a backup to disk product that has the feature to allow you to copy your backups to tape.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
tolgaunturk
Influencer

Post by tolgaunturk »

Hi skrause ,

I think so i wasn't understand correctly; If i will buy a tape unit for backup, i cant take backup directly ?

Thanks
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

tolgaunturk wrote:Hi skrause ,
I think so i wasn't understand correctly; If i will buy a tape unit for backup, i cant take backup directly ?
Thanks
That`s correct, you can`t. Tape media can be used only as a secondary destination. Backup to disk is required.