Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
Anguel
Expert
Liked: 18 times

Way to monitor for missed endpoint backups?

Post by Anguel »

Hi! I am using Veeam Endpoint Backup together with VBR & Veeam One. Now I noticed that some endpoints had not done a backup for weeks because Windows 10 fast startup re-enabled itself (probably due to some Win 10 update) and this causes WOL not to work (more on this problem in my blog: http://techie-blog.blogspot.de/2014/03/ ... ndows.html).
Now the problem is that there was no alarm about the missing backups. I see a setting in Veeam One but this does not seem to apply for endpoints, only VMs:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/one/alarms ... larms.html
So is there any way to receive an alarm if backups are missed?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Way to monitor for missed endpoint backups?

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Just to make sure that I got it right - backups were missed because the machine could not be waked up, is that correct? Did you pointed backups to Veeam repository?

Thanks
Anguel
Expert

Post by Anguel »

Yes, endpoint PC did not wake up, was off and therefore no backup to the repository occurred - this is expected and not the problem.
I just expect Veeam One to be able to send me some notification if the last available endpoint backup for a PC is e.g. 3 days ago.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

Currently Veeam ONE does not support Endpoint monitoring. A possible workaround is to setup a daily script running on the repository side that checks if a new file has appeared in the endpoint backup folder.

Thanks
Anguel
Expert

Post by Anguel » 1 person likes this post

Please add this as a feature request for Veeam One. I expect a leading paid monitoring solution to be able to inform me of such things without having to write my own scripts. I purchased the Essentials package (VBR & One) and expected endpoint integration but One was really not worth the money so far, also regarding the fact that it is giving me other false alarms too.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Anguel,
We`ve taken into consideration your request about Endpoint support by Veeam ONE. Thanks for the feedback!
Anguel wrote: it is giving me other false alarms too.
Anything new besides the mentioned issues?
Thanks!
Anguel
Expert

Post by Anguel »

Well, I have now tried to schedule different backup copy jobs to different times, unfortunately this gives even more "Job exceeded backup window" errors and also some new "Incremental copy was not processed during the copy interval" errors have also appeared. Regarding the confirmed bugs with endpoint backup copy jobs I am not sure what is really going on there. I really hope that the endpoint backup quality will soon get to the level of Veeam VM backups.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for the update!
Regarding backup windows, I would either extend them or try to speed them up starting with the bottleneck analysis.
And again you feedback about Veeam ONE - Endpoint integration is taken into account.
Anguel
Expert

Post by Anguel »

Thank you. I have changed back to the default continuous / automatic schedule for now and will have to live with the (hopefully) false error messages about exceeded backup windows:
veeam-backup-replication-f2/backup-copy ... ml#p198565
and locked backup archives:
veeam-backup-replication-f2/backup-copy ... ml#p185812
until the next release will hopefully fix those bugs.
kross
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Kenneth Ross

Post by kross » 1 person likes this post

Anguel wrote:Well, I have now tried to schedule different backup copy jobs to different times, unfortunately this gives even more "Job exceeded backup window" errors and also some new "Incremental copy was not processed during the copy interval" errors have also appeared. Regarding the confirmed bugs with endpoint backup copy jobs I am not sure what is really going on there. I really hope that the endpoint backup quality will soon get to the level of Veeam VM backups.
This can be done. Usually when I get that error I've noticed that you increase the bock settings and the amount time it takes for a backup to happen.

If you haven't already I suggest getting in contact with support for assistance on how to do this or you can shoot me a PM! :D