Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
nokogerra
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Anatoliy Kopylov

How can I change source vm location?

Post by nokogerra »

Good day. Im using Veeam B&R9 and I am curious what should I do with vm backup job if the vm location was changed (e.g. folder)? I guess changing the vm location in the backup job settings will be not enough?
And one more question: I got some jobs that point to the folders, not to the vms itself. And now I should move some of the folders into another folders, what changes should I make in the backup job settings so the job countinued to perform correctly?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: How can I change source vm location?

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hi Anatoliy, if you're using vCenter Server connection for your backup jobs, then it doesn't matter where your VMs are located. For example, if you're using folders, then all VMs from the folder will be backed up. On the other hand, if you're adding VMs explicitly to the backup job, then it doesn't matter what location they currently have, as the backup job will query vCenter Server for VM location and then will start backing it up.

P.S. please be aware that the logic above does not apply to the situation when you re-register VMs in the inventory. For more info on this topic, please check out this thread > Moving VMs to a new virtual center.
nokogerra
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Anatoliy Kopylov

Re: How can I change source vm location?

Post by nokogerra »

Thanks a lot for your reply. It helps.
pidthepiper
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Bilal AHmed

[MERGED] Veeam Backups using vCenter Folders

Post by pidthepiper »

Hi Guys,

All my Veeam backups are based off of the vCenter folder structure.

What would happen if I rename a folder? Does the backup job base it on the actual name of the folder or the ID of the folder?

Also if I moved a subfolder to a different directory, I assume the job would fail as the folder is located under a different root folder?

Hope that makes sense!

Cheers,

Bilal
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Veeam Backups using vCenter Folders

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Bilal,

If I got you right the answer above describes in details the way how the VMs are picked up by the job. Thanks!