Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Does changing drive block size impact reading existing tapes

Post by skrause »

I have read a few posts on here about people resolving performance issues with Backups to Tape jobs where the source files are not local to the tape server by lowering the block size on the drives.

Before I do this, I want to make sure that changing the block size won't impact the ability of the drives to read existing backups from tape in the event that I need to restore.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
rreed
Veteran
Liked: 72 times

Re: Does changing drive block size impact reading existing t

Post by rreed »

You might if you're running v9. There's a bug wherein it can bomb out if drive is set for x but tapes are set for xx block size (or even fresh new blank tapes). Contact support for a hotfix, it worked in our case.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Dell TL2000 via PE430 (SAS)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Does changing drive block size impact reading existing t

Post by veremin »

Generally speaking, as long as tape drive supports both block sizes (previous, current) there should not be any issues. However, there used to be several known problems with block size functionality in version 9 and version 9 Update 1.

Up to that moment we've created several hot fixes addressing all of them. So, should you come across any issues, don't hesitate to request a hot fix through support ticket.

Thanks.