Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Aremac
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Sam Pierce

Backup Copy job question

Post by Aremac » 1 person likes this post

I should probably know this by now but what is the benefit of linking a backup copy job to a backup job as a secondary target. I just noticed that while I created a backup copy job I neglected to set it up as secondary target in my main backup job. The backup copy runs continuously and apparently is still working so why tie them together?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup Copy job question

Post by veremin »

It's just an additional place where secondary jobs including backup copy and backup to tape ones can be created. Also, it allows you to easily check what jobs are taking care about archival tasks for this very backup job. So, we're talking here more about convenience, rather than difference.

There is no difference if you create them separately, using corresponding wizards (add backup copy job, etc.)

Thanks.
Aremac
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Sam Pierce

Post by Aremac »

That doesn't sound right. If I am creating a backup job and select configure secondary destination for this job, when no previous backup copy jobs have been created, I get a message saying I must first create a backup copy job. So I have to exit the backup job, create a backup copy job, then go back into the backup job and select the backup copy job I just created as a secondary target. This indicates that the base backup job has some relation to the backup copy job. But, the backup copy job on its own already monitors for new restore points for kicking off backup copies so the relationship between these two are still fuzzy to me.

Thanks,
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

My previous answer was slightly wrong. What I should have said, that this option's just an additional place where you can add backup job to existing backup copy and backup to tape jobs.

Say, you have already some backup and backup copy jobs, and you need to create an additional backup job. To add this job to the source of existing backup copy job, you can leverage "configure secondary destinations for this job" option, instead of going to the setting of backup copy job, after the backup job is created. The same applies to situation when backup to tape job takes care about secondary backup copy.

Thanks.