Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
kpinkpin
Lurker
Liked: never

Manually copying backups to another location

Post by kpinkpin »

Im assuming its ok to just manually copy and paste backups to an external drive to take offsite correct? I just wanted to know if I actually need to copy any files other than the .vbm .vbk and .vib files? In the Root of my Backups I have .sf files and lock files. What are these for and should I copy this over?

Thanks in advance.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Manually copying backups to another location

Post by Shestakov »

Hello kpinkpin,
If you want Veeam Server to aware of the backup copies, you need to rescan the repository to make server know the files are there.
By the way, why not to use backup copy job for that purpose?
Thanks!
kpinkpin
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by kpinkpin »

I'm going to set up a more automated way of handling it but I just want to make an initial backup of everything really quick.
So just copy the .vib .vbm .vbk files over then scan the repository and they should be good for recovery correct?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

They will be good. But backup copy job is more automated way + it works much faster if you leverage WAN Acceleration.
Thernlund
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Terry Hernlund

Post by Thernlund » 1 person likes this post

kpinkpin wrote:Im assuming its ok to just manually copy and paste backups to an external drive to take offsite correct? I just wanted to know if I actually need to copy any files other than the .vbm .vbk and .vib files? In the Root of my Backups I have .sf files and lock files. What are these for and should I copy this over?
I've personally done this for a subpoena the required me to preserve the state of the system from a certain date. I just copied the .vbk and .vib files from the dates I needed and set those aside. Months later I was able read and restore from them with no problem. :)