Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
hyvokar
Veteran
Liked: 29 times

Initial backup copy job fails

Post by hyvokar »

Hi!

I'm trying to run a backup copy job to a cloud repository. The copying should take around 15 hours. I start the job at 16:00 but it fails at 00:00 -

Copy interval has expired - Initial copy did not complete, and will resume on the next copy interval.

How can I set the initial job run for 16 hours and not to expire at midnight?
When the warning message says "resume", will it actually resume, or rather start over?
Bed?! Beds for sleepy people! Lets get a kebab and go to a disco!
MS MCSA, MCITP, MCTS, MCP
VMWare VCP5-DCV
Veeam VMCE
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Initial backup copy job fails

Post by foggy »

You can set the longer interval until the initial run completes and then configure it back to the required value. Another option is to seed the backup job by sending the offline copy of the backup to the cloud provider, if that is applicable.
hyvokar wrote:When the warning message says "resume", will it actually resume, or rather start over?
During the next interval the copy will resume and attempt to copy all the missing blocks to the next restore point.
hyvokar
Veteran
Liked: 29 times

Post by hyvokar »

Thanks! Seeding isnt possible at this case, but longer interval will propably save me :-)
Bed?! Beds for sleepy people! Lets get a kebab and go to a disco!
MS MCSA, MCITP, MCTS, MCP
VMWare VCP5-DCV
Veeam VMCE
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

The subsequent incremental runs should take less time. So, you can increase interval just temporarily in order for the first run to pass. Thanks.
Baldy27
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Baldwin

[MERGED] Initial copy did not complete

Post by Baldy27 »

HI,

Quite new to Veeam but we currently have a Backup Copy job running which we keep receiving warnings from saying "Initial copy did not complete, and will resume on the next copy interval"

I have had a search but cant see a related topic.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Re: Initial copy did not complete, and will resume on the ne

Post by foggy »

Chris, this is typical for the initial sync, when the configured copy interval is not long enough to allow sending the entire full backup. You can extend the interval until the sync is performed and then set it back to the current value for further incremental runs.
Baldy27
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Baldwin

Post by Baldy27 »

How do i extend the interval Veeam 8
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Open backup copy job properties and set the copy interval to an extended value.
mohd.omar
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mohd Omar

Post by mohd.omar »

Hello everyone,
I am having the same issue for the 3rd day , it's 1.94TB backup Copy job and I already set the interval only "one copy every day", longest possible duration. and this warning still there ? may I know how to remove it please? and why the job is taking very long time over than 24 hours to finish , although it's coping from reverse incremental backup and I don't have over than 30GB incremental data to copy every day.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

The only way to remove it is to make backup copy finish its copy cycle. In your case for some reason backup copy job fails to transfer changes within allocated interval. Thus, the warning.

Have you considered initial seeding or setting weekly copy interval and lowering it down gradually, if the job manages to cope with generated changes?