Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
AlexL
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Alex

error link-cloned mode - please help

Post by AlexL »

During a backup of a VM (named ASK) the job got stuck. I'm using appliance mode (VM named VEB). After 24h I tried stopping the job. Tried that again every hour for 4 more hours. Still nothing. Restarted the VEEAM service, still running. Finally I booted the backup appliance VM.

I tried removing the veeam snapshot on the VM being backuped up (ASK). This seemed to fail with error: unable to access file <unspecified filename> since it is locked.

The snapshot is gone though in the GUI, but in the datastore browser I still see the files. If I look at the disks in the VM configuration I see the disks pointing to the snapshot (files ending with -000002.vmdk)?

I noticed I had 3 disks of the VM (ASK) that was being backuped up still attached to the appliance VM (VEB). I removed those (selecting remove from VM only). That went without problems.

Now I try to migrate the VM named ASK, I get the following error:

A general system error occurred: The virtual machine has virtual disk in link-cloned mode that prevents migration.

Please advise me in how to process and how to clean up the mess.

PS.. the VM ASK (with the problems) is running production data for a large customer and cannot be shutdown easily.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: error link-cloned mode - please help

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Alex,

First of all, you want to make sure you're using the latest version of Veeam Backup and Replication, secondly, please look at the topic below, which will guide you through the proper steps of removing orphaned snapshots (which were left by VMware):
http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... t=30#p9455 (pages 3-4)

This should help you to clean up the mess. Thanks!
AlexL
Service Provider

Post by AlexL »

Are you refering to the post made by zeki at Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:44 pm?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, I was referring to that very post and another one made by Personne at Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:22 pm
AlexL
Service Provider

Post by AlexL »

ahh.. the post from Personne put me in the right track. Seem I had it almost fixed myself. I only needed to create a snapshot and do a remove all... No downtime and fixed within a minute or so.

Thanks for the quick replies.