Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
sertel
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam Oracle Explorer technical steps?

Post by sertel »

Hi,

I would like to know that what is the exact steps for backup and restore processes during these tasks. We have veeam v9 and took a successful backup with Veeam Oracle explorer but I want to know the whole process for Oracle side.

Does veeam take datafiles to hot backup mode(alter database begin backup) for backup operation or use RMAN?

Best Regards.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam Oracle Explorer technical steps?

Post by foggy »

Hi, please review the corresponding user guide section and information available on this web page and feel free to ask any additional questions. Thanks.
sertel
Novice

Post by sertel »

Hi, I have already review all of the user guides but I cannot see any technical information about Oracle based steps, there is no Rman or any other backup script solution on there.
sertel
Novice

Post by sertel »

I have to be sure that Veeam is using this Oracle backup/restore solution these steps and ...
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Are you looking for general steps description (something like this) or more for particular commands issued during specific stage? We're not relying on RMAN, by the way. Thanks.
sertel
Novice

Post by sertel »

Hi Eremin, I am exactly looking for particular commands/steps issued during backup and restore oparetions individually. For example I think that veeam run "alter database begin backup" command on db layer before getting image backup of the server. So I am not sure about the steps so in order to understand the whole mechanism I have to be make guesses.
sertel
Novice

Post by sertel »

Also please review the link below, it mentions about RMAN for recovery operation.

Veeam Explorer for Oracle opens a database directly from the compressed, deduplicated Veeam backup file, and by leveraging RMAN, provides flexible recovery options for:
Database recovery to the state stored in an image-level backup
Point-in-time database recovery via transaction log replay
Transaction-level recovery via transaction log review

https://www.veeam.com/oracle-backup-rec ... lorer.html
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 2 people like this post

We cannot disclose the entire process, but basically, Veeam B&R uses either VSS or RMAN and acts in accordance with Oracle recommendations, switching databases that are in ARCHIVELOG mode to backup state and shutting down databases that are in NOARCHIVELOG mode. If you have any particular concerns, we can try to clarify them.
sertel
Novice

Post by sertel »

Thank you for the clarification. I understood the actions and the technical steps for backup side, now everthing is clear on my side. But in Veeam's official link there is an information about using RMAN for restore operations. I know that if you backup a system without RMAN tool, you cannot restore this backup piece with RMAN. So what is the RMAN's role for restore operation according to Veeam official link?

Veeam Explorer for Oracle opens a database directly from the compressed, deduplicated Veeam backup file, and by leveraging RMAN, provides flexible recovery options

https://www.veeam.com/oracle-backup-rec ... lorer.html
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Veeam utilizes RMAN to perform restore operations. It communicates database file paths and other necessary information to RMAN that performs actual restore.
sertel
Novice

Post by sertel »

Thank you very much.

Best Regards.