Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Njumaen
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Ralf Neumann

Feature Request - change backup name

Post by Njumaen »

The name of the backup job should be possible to be changed as the name of the machine was changed after the initial backup.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Feature Request - change backup name

Post by Vitaliy S. »

...or alternatively the new machine name could be picked up after you initiate a full backup, since machine name does not change very often.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Njumaen,
If you rename PC while backup job is configured, we would rename all upcoming restore points with the new name, however the backup will still reside in the old backup folder. So we got you covered :wink:
Andrew.Meyer
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrew D Meyer

Post by Andrew.Meyer »

Is there a way to rename the folder? Somewhere in the job settings perhaps? I deleted the folder for the old PC name and started a full backup, but the job recreates a folder with the old PC name. The backup file within that folder does reference the new PC name though.

Thanks,
Andy
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Andy,
It should be possible to change the backup destination folder thru the Configure Backup Wizard > Local Storage. We use DriveX:\VeeamBackup\ by default but you can change it to any folder you like.
Sablerider
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Alexander Neunsinger

[MERGED] changing backup-folder after changing client-name

Post by Sablerider »

Hi there,

If i change the computer-name of a client and i backup the client via VEB to a CIFS share it backups in the old computer-name-subfolder

e.g.

changing computer-name from

client001 -> client 002

the backup-subfolder still reflects the "client001" name. Even when i uninstall VEB, restart the client and install VEB again and delete the CIFS-subfolder, VEB still creates a subfolder reflecting the old client-name "client001"

Is there any option to change this behaviour? I couldn't find anything in the registry.

Cheers,
Alex
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Alexander, try to follow Dima's suggestion, should do the trick. Thanks!
Sablerider
Influencer
Full Name: Alexander Neunsinger

Post by Sablerider »

Hi Vitaly,

Thanks! I did bad on the search-option. Sorry!

Alex
Biajja
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Biajja Chiemara

Post by Biajja »

What about Sysprep? I don't what to have to rename the configuration for each machine I restore and rename on the network when we reallocate it or deploy a new one.

Currently this is the dilemma.

Take a machine and build it with software and settings - Named: Win764-Sysp
Sysprep the machine
Run Veeam to create ISO and Backup on USB drive
Restore Bare Metal on new machine
Rename Machine to next Designation: Accounting2
Backup job configured to point to Network location where all other backups reside: \\10.0.XXX.XXX\Backup
Under that \\10.0.XXX.XXX\Backup\ folder there are folders for each machine
Backup\
-> Backup Job Accounting1
-> Backup Job Customer Service 1
-> Backup Job Customer Service 2
-> Backup Job Art 1
-> Backup Job Art 2
-> Backup Job Orders 1
-> Backup Job Orders 2

If we run the job now, it will make

-> Backup Job Win764-Sysp
-> Backup Job Accounting 2

Instead of

Even with SysprepMode 1 in registry, which should arbitrarily clear all the settings in Veeam as if it was freshly installed and never ran.

The backup folders should be named according to the most current machine name running the job, in my opinion.
Biajja
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Biajja Chiemara

Post by Biajja »

Having an issue with Veeam End-point Backup.

Why doesn't renaming the computer name, also rename or change the directory name of the backup?

If I have a computer named Win764-Sysp, and do a sysprep with Sysprep 1 in registry for Veeam, and then bare metal load that image onto another machine, it will still put the new backup into the Backup 0f Win764-Sysp folder just with the new file name?

Makes it hard when you have a few machines you want to separate backups for.

Why does it store its settings in sql database? Could these settings not be stored in a settings file like an ini or other similar file?

Why is Veeam so adamant about retaining the computer name of the first computer it was run on despite being on another machine with a different computer name?

I would think changing the computer name should be an arbitrary command that Veeam must change the backup folder name to no matter what, and then continue writing the new backups under the folder with a matching name to the computer name it is now currently running on.

Also, In a 7 day cycle... We are getting an error where the backup process stops.

Same computer, no computer name changes, just letting Veeam run but set to overwrite after 7 days and start the backup cycle over again. We get the errors :

7/17/2015 11:42:01 AM :: Error: Shared memory connection was closed. Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: File does not exist. File: [\\10.0.70.30\backup\Backup Job ACC16A\Backup Job ACC16A2015-06-10T130151.vbk]. Failed to download disk.
7/17/2015 11:42:36 AM :: Full backup file merge failed Error: File does not exist. File: [\\10.0.70.30\backup\Backup Job ACC16A\Backup Job ACC16A2015-06-10T130151.vbk]. Failed to restore file from local backup. VFS link: [summary.xml]. Target file: [MemFs://frontend::CDataTransferCommandSet::RestoreText_{ff6d302d-8bf1-4d6a-a8ef-41b6af6f8501}]. CHMOD mask: [0]. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.RestoreText}.

If the settings have to be stored in a sql database, then how can I log into that database and manually change the backup folder name if we change the computer name of the system? I use Navicat for SQL work.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Biajja, I believe all these issues are coming from the situation when VEB is used in the situation it is not intended to be used for. Based on your description, I see that you're trying to "solve" a problem of massive VEB deployment in a corporate IT world. When you rename the computer and run active full backup, then it's name as well as backup files are renamed, probably sysprep doesn't change everything VEB is looking at while creating a backup folder.

Can you please tell me a bit more about your scenario and VEB usage, so we could think about other ways of achieving this goal?
Tecbil
Enthusiast

Post by Tecbil »

I got veeam endpoint backup on some physical machines installed and they are all linked with veeam backup & replication v9.
If I rename the computer name of a virtual machine, in the email-notifications still resists the old computer-name.
Example:
I rename the physical computer as this:
Computername.old --> Computername.new

After a successful backup, the e-mail-notification-message shows up:

Name: Computername.old
Sart time: 07:45:08
End time: ... and so on

How can I fix that?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Fabio,

Can you clarify, is that VEB email notifications or VBR global email notification option? Thanks.
Tecbil
Enthusiast

Post by Tecbil »

I don't really know what exactly the diference is, but it's the following option inside veeam backup & replication 9 GUI:

Menu --> Options --> E-Mail Settings

I attached a screenshot-link of the e-mail notrification.

As you can see, in the Backup-Job-Name the machine is named as it should (P-P-PC-01), but below you see, that the machine still is showed with its old name (KMG). I tried to re-install the Endpoint-Backup-Software on the physical machine but that did not help.
Tecbil
Enthusiast

Post by Tecbil »

Ummh...I don't want to be unpatient, just want to ask if the issue is being analyzed? There was no answer given for 14 days now.
Nathan
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Nathan.Lu

Post by Nathan »

Hi Dmitry,

I backup data file of computer A to server successfully. Then I restore data file of A to computer B successfully which is the same brand and model with A. Then I rename B to B.1. Then run the VEB on both A and B.1, they both backup into the same old folder of A. Any solution could fix this problem and let two computer destination being separated ?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Nathan,

Have you tried to specify another destination manually thru the job’s settings?
Nathan
Influencer
Full Name: Nathan.Lu

Post by Nathan »

Hi Dmitry,

I have not tried to specify another destination manually. This two backup job will backup into the same old folder of A.

For example.

Folder A is already exist, then run the VEB on both A and B.1, A will backup into Folder A and create a subfolder named Backup_Job_A . B.1 will also backup into Folder A and create a subfolder named Backup_Job_B.1 .
MLang.Systemwerker
Novice
Full Name: Manfred Lang

Post by MLang.Systemwerker » 2 people like this post

Hello,

I solved the VEB Computername rename problem now. VEB is saving the Computername inside the SQL LocalDB while first installation. You just have to delete all LocalDB Copies which are created by first Installation. Unfortunately the uninstall is NOT deleting the LocalDB Copies, so the old Computername survives by VEB reinstallation.

Here are the steps to do:

1.: VEB has NOT to be installed new, so EndPoint cloning with installed VEB is possible.
2.: Stop VEB Systray Tool and Service VeeamEndpointBackupSvc
3.: Delete following directories:
- %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Veeam\EndPoint
- %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Veeam\EndpointData
4.: Delete following LocalDB copies:
- %SystemRoot%\System32\config\systemprofile\VeeamBackup*
5.: Start Service VeeamEndpointBackupSvc and VEB Systray Tool
The Service Start takes a couple of time, because a new LocalDB is created now.
6.: Reconfigure the Backup Job

Enjoy this great peace of Software.

Regards, Manfred
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

This solution will work. Keep in mind, that all job setting and info about the backups will be erased. The previously created backups should be fully operational though.
Risa
Novice
Full Name: Rishat

[MERGED] PC Veeam Image name not changes

Post by Risa » 1 person likes this post

I've created Windows 10 Sysprep PC image with the PC name XXXXXXX. install Veean to created VBM to deploy this image on my second machine.
I cloned and renamed my new machine as W10Test. Run Veeam to create VBM of this new PC. All worked, but the VBM file name didn't changed to W10Test. It is name is XXXXXX. Why this happening and how to address this problem?
Thank you and regards
Risa
Novice

Re: PC Veeam Image name not changes

Post by Risa »

Update:
the path is D:\VeeamBackup\Backup Job XXXXXXX
2 files are in there:
Backup Job W10TEST102016-07-01T082441.vbk
Backup Job XXXXXXX.vbm
Please advise, how to fix this.

Thank you
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Rishat, please try to follow the instructions on how to fix it posted by Manfred above. Should help.
Risa
Novice

Post by Risa » 1 person likes this post

Vitaliy,
Thank you much!
Spasibo! ;-)
folerx
Expert
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Daniel Kaiser

[MERGED] Changing computer name wont change backup name on b

Post by folerx »

hi
I test integration veb and b&r. b&r is repository. if i change client computer name on which is veb installed, backups on b&r retain old pc name which can be problem. maybe i make something wrong? :?:
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, this is expected. You need to change the name in the DB as well.
graveender
Novice
Full Name: George Merriman

Post by graveender »

Vitaliy, Do you mean the DB in the endpoint client or the DB in the Repository server? I'm having the same problem. I've tried the steps listed above, but the old name keeps coming back.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

The name is stored in the DB of the endpoint. Once you change it and initiate a full backup pass, backup files will be renamed.
graveender
Novice
Full Name: George Merriman

Post by graveender » 1 person likes this post

graveender wrote:Vitaliy, Do you mean the DB in the endpoint client or the DB in the Repository server? I'm having the same problem. I've tried the steps listed above, but the old name keeps coming back.
I solved the problem by rebooting the client after removing the local DB.
emad
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Emad Yehia

Post by emad »

I have the same issue. When i changed the computer name, the endpoint backup job still exists with old computer name.