Feature Request - change backup name

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Re: Feature Request - change backup name

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:04 pm 1 person likes this post

Emad, did you try the solution mentioned in this topic (a few posts above)?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1098 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby oyvindo » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:44 pm

Hi, I'm using VEP for incremental backups nightly of my Win10 PC to a Networked NAS.
After a while, the content of the backup folder is filled with files that has no meaningful names to me. All I can make any sense of, is the creation date of each file and its size. Likewise in the Veeam control panel - there is no way to clean up, manage, tag and/or organize backups. As it is now, I have to maintain a separate Excel file to keep a recorded history of what was backed up when.
Is there a way to achieve this in Veeam? What I need is a place to tag backups so that I know which one to choose for restore if I ever want to go back to the day before I upgraded i.e. my WiFi drivers (or any other happening). Sort of a daily activity tag or comment field.
oyvindo
Novice

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Oyvind Overby

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:12 pm

oyvindo wrote:there is no way to clean up, manage, tag and/or organize backups

Yes, that's correct. Restore points are solely controlled by your retention policy settings. Can you please clarify what does "organize backup" mean?
oyvindo wrote: As it is now, I have to maintain a separate Excel file to keep a recorded history of what was backed up when.

What kind of records are you doing? Will backup indexing backup files help in your scenario?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby oyvindo » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:16 pm

Vitaliy S. wrote:What kind of records are you doing? Will backup indexing backup files help in your scenario?

Here's a small example- just to illustrate:

On a specific day X, I decide to upgrade to Windows 1X. Everything seems to work just fine at first, but after some 10 days or so - I begin to experience problems to the degree that I finally get nowhere, so I decide to roll back to my previous "last known good" state. As VEP backs up my system every night, all I now need to do - is to remember exactly which day it was that I did the fatal upgrade. Regretfully I cannot remember, and there's nothing in the backup anywhere that can help me find the right date.

What I need is a way to record (note down) comments to each, any, none or all backups along the way, so that I can easily recall the chain of events from one day to the next.
It doesn't help me much to have 31 backups for August as long as I cannot tell them apart except for the date of the file.

That's why I now have to punch a separate excel file, recording everything I do, so that I know what to look for. I think a modern Backup system should provide that feature - at least allow me to rename each file name to something meaningful to me - without Veeam loosing track of history, sequence and generations, thus being able to restore a working bare metal disk independent of how backup files were named. Alternatively, if it is mandatory for you to strictly follow a specific naming convention, then at least support some form of editable text-only meta-data tag attached to each backup file. And keep copies in a local DB so that global search can be made to locate the right backup to restore from. As it is now, I cannot even search easily across generations of backups to locate a specific version of a file, folder or sets of such.
oyvindo
Novice

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:10 pm

Ok, seems like your use case it different from the one discussed in this topic. OPs post was about how to rename a backup file after renaming a computer name.

In your case maybe a standalone full backup would be a better approach (for example, do full backup every time you want to do a major change in the guest OS). Having a possibility to add a small note for to this standalone full backup also sounds like a good idea. Thanks for your feedback!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby emad » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:30 pm

Vitaliy S. wrote:Emad, did you try the solution mentioned in this topic (a few posts above)?

I tried this solution as mentioned above and it worked for me.
1.: VEB has NOT to be installed new, so EndPoint cloning with installed VEB is possible.
2.: Stop VEB Systray Tool and Service VeeamEndpointBackupSvc
3.: Delete following directories:
- %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Veeam\EndPoint
- %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Veeam\EndpointData
4.: Delete following LocalDB copies:
- %SystemRoot%\System32\config\systemprofile\VeeamBackup*
5.: Start Service VeeamEndpointBackupSvc and VEB Systray Tool
The Service Start takes a couple of time, because a new LocalDB is created now.
6.: Reconfigure the Backup Job
Thanks Vitaliy and thanks for everyone
emad
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Emad Yehia

Veeam Logoby oyvindo » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:43 am

Vitaliy S. wrote:In your case maybe a standalone full backup would be a better approach (for example, do full backup every time you want to do a major change in the guest OS). Having a possibility to add a small note for to this standalone full backup also sounds like a good idea. Thanks for your feedback!

Excellent! Thanks for your support, and sorry for hiijacking.
oyvindo
Novice

Veeam Logoby jcquirin » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:28 pm

Hi,

To change the name of the backup, you just to reset the database.

Run regedit.exe and locate the
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Endpoint Backup
key, as also seen in the screenshot below:

Name = RecreateDatabase
Type = DWORD (32 bit)
Value = 1

You can also create this entry if it does'nt exist
https://tinkertry.com/veeam-endpoint-ba ... base-reset
jcquirin
Novice

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: jean-christophe.q

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:41 pm

jcquirin,

Thanks. Yes, this registry key recreates the database which all the backup history and makes you VEB like a brand-new installation. Just don’t forget to remove the key once the operation was completed successfully.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 439 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby souperstar » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:18 pm

Does this registry key have any effect on the Veeam Agent for Windows 2.0 Free Edition? We can't seem to get it to do anything, every backup job is listed as "WIN10IMAGE" when the PC name clearly shows correctly inside the job itself.
souperstar
Enthusiast

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Chris

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:48 pm

Hello Chris,

Yes, recreate database hack should work with VAW v2. Try to run recreate database, remove / copy old backup files to another location. If you were using Veeam backup repository remove the job from the console and backup files from configuration as well.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby souperstar » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:45 pm

I have set the recreate database registry entry to '1' and removed the job and backup file configuration from the Veeam backup repository console. Same result - the workstations create a job in the VBR console as "WIN10IMAGE" and continue to try backing up as this job name. I can clearly see the workstation name inside the job. Any other advice? There doesn't seem to be anything else which would need to be done if the registry entry is doing its job and I am interpreting its purpose correctly.
souperstar
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby souperstar » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:41 pm

I just realized, could the issue stem from executing a backup job of the master image OS before sysprepping? Would that cause the job name to be sticky somewhere? If so, is our only resolution to delete the configuration and start over on each newly imaged workstation?
souperstar
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:56 pm

I just realized, could the issue stem from executing a backup job of the master image OS before sysprepping?

Might be the root cause. We have a recommended procedure for Sysprep and Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows. I still don’t have a clue why recreate database does not solve this issue. If possible please open a support case and let the team check your logs.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby souperstar » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:56 pm

Thank you for that link Dima, we have used that process and tested every way we can think of, and finally created support case 02278647. Thanks again for your help.
souperstar
Enthusiast

Previous

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows