Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
mr-tin
Novice
Liked: 2 times

File to Tape Job and GFS Media Pool

Post by mr-tin »

Hi,

I was indenting to use a Backup to Tape Job with a GFS Media Pool to back up my VMs and then use the same GFS media set to append a File to Tape Job.

However I am not able to assign a GFS Media Pool to my File to Tape Job.

Does anyone have a suggestion please?

Thx
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: File to Tape Job and GFS Media Pool

Post by Dima P. »

Hello mr-tin,

GFS media pools were designed specifically for backup to tape jobs, so you can’t use them in conjunction with file to tape job.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

And the only option you have is to create different files to tape jobs as well as media pools (say, weekly, monthly, etc.) with different overwrite protection periods and link those entities together. Thanks.
fja
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

[MERGED] File to GFS archive

Post by fja »

We are reworking our DR plans, and focus is on ability to recover from tapes according to server priority.

To be able to do that we have tried several options for storing Veeam data as part of the tape jobs to GFGS archive. This does not work..

We can select a repository to add to GFS tapes, but the repository setup as target for configuration backup on decentral VBR servers shows no content.. Based on answer from support (ticket #02034409) this is currently by design - as config backup is not a 'real' Veeam backup job.
Next option is to setup a tape file job - selecting the folder manually. This work - but does not allow GFS volumes as target... which only leaves option to use a full additional tape to store just the configuration :cry:

Please provide a option to allow Tape file job to utilize GFS medias - this to allow us to store config backups and catalog data together with backups - ensuring full consistency and easy handling in case of DR to new equipment..
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

As mentioned above, GFS Media Pools have been developed specifically for backup to tape jobs, and for now this is likely to stay as is.

Thank you for the feedback, though, highly appreciated.
mr-tin
Novice
Liked: 2 times

Post by mr-tin » 1 person likes this post

v.Eremin wrote:As mentioned above, GFS Media Pools have been developed specifically for backup to tape jobs, and for now this is likely to stay as is.
What needs to happen in order for Veeam to change its stand and make GFS Media Pools available for Tape file jobs :?:
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Hmm, chances are, an unexpected and sufficient growth of number of customer's requests towards this functionality will lead into assigning a higher priority to this feature.

However, since there is a noticeable difference between demand for GFS MP for file to tape job and demand for other enhancements, the situation is likely to stay as is, at least in the foreseeable future.

Thanks.
Dhammer
Novice
Liked: never

Post by Dhammer »

I know I am late to this post, but I will give a hearty thumbs up to having any backup method that can go to tape be GFS enabled. That is how tape is supposed to work. If you are going to support it, then you should FULLY support it. Thanks and Regards.
mfirewalker
Influencer
Liked: 4 times

Post by mfirewalker »

Are the answers in this thread still valid? I just wanted to add our repository of HANA Backups, made using the Veeam backint agent, to our GFS tape job, but found out that "SAP Backups" and their repositories cannot be a source for GFS tape jobs. I then wanted to add a File to Tape job just to find out this cannot target a GFS media pool :-( Are there any best practices how to deal with the results of Veeam Enterprise Application plug-ins in terms of tape? I would like to streamline this with our existing backup procedures (FS job) as much as possible, but it seems like this is going to be a completely different story.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello mfirewalker,

File to tape job does not support GFS media pool as a target, however you can process plug-in backups via file to tape jobs aimed at regular media pool. Cheers!
Marco31
Influencer

Post by Marco31 »

Is there any plan for file-to-tape-jobs to support GFS media pools as target in future releases? This restriction is the only thing that lets me prefer Arcserve for my Tape Backups - i want to have ONE GFS-job for writing all my backups (Veeam AND other Backup Files) to tape, not writing veeam-backups to a GFS-Job and writing my other backup-files with a standard job to other tapes...
Please consider this for Future Releases!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Marco,

Thank you for the post, I'll add your vote to this feature request. Mind me asking what retention schema would be preferable for you (say, daily incrementals and weekly fulls) and what's the source amount of data you would like to protect via file to tape jobs with GFS (amount of objects / size of objects)?
xzvf
Influencer

Post by xzvf »

+1 vote to support file to tape within a GFS pool.
No Oracle RMAN plugin support, can't write these backups to (GFS media pool) tape, this is not a forward looking solution.
JeroenL
Influencer
Full Name: Jeroen Leeflang

Post by JeroenL »

Please add this feature.
We try to move the Veeam Configuration backup offsite and now I have to use a different media pool and write 100MB to an LTO7 tape. I can't append my VM data to the same tape so this is an expensive backup.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello folks,

That you for your feedback! I've added you votes to this feature request!
Jerry.P
Lurker
Full Name: Jerry Pringle

[MERGED] GFS option for files to tape backup

Post by Jerry.P »

Hello,

Would it be possible to introduce GFS media option for files to tape backups? We are wanting to have off-site rotated backup sets with multiple sets with different retention. I have been looking into approximating this with multiple backup jobs with the same selections but different frequency and retention, but it feels very clunky and kind of reinventing the wheel.

Thanks,
Jerry
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Jerry

Welcome to the forum.
I moved your question to the existing topic. We are aware of the request and add your vote as +1.
If you have machine (Agents, VMs) backups, please check out Backup To Tape jobs as a workaround.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Jerry.P
Lurker
Full Name: Jerry Pringle

Post by Jerry.P »

Thank you, Fabian.

I have to say that this is pretty disappointing, now that I have read back this thread, to see how long this has been being requested. Had I realised that this was not an option when our reseller pitched Veeam, then I would never have selected it. Our primary requirement, which was stipulated to the reseller, was for backing up files to tape, not VMs.