Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
zabo2012
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Restoring 2012 Domain Controller VM

Post by zabo2012 »

When doing a full VMware virtual machine restore of a Windows Server 2012 Domain Controller, the restore complete successfully and the VM boot up correctly but none of DC services work. i'm not able to login to the DC server, get the error " There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request." I can only login to the server if I boot into safe mode.
did a couple of restores of different 2012 domain controllers and all came back with the same errors. the ones that allowed me to login gave this error when opening any DC service " the configuration information describing this enterprise is not available. the specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted." very weird I made sure DC is not booting into recovery mode and rebooted multiple times.
was wondering if anyone saw this error? i'm still waiting on support to get back to me, but thought it might be faster to post here.

case id#00455558
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Restoring 2012 Domain Controller VM

Post by veremin »

What version of VB&R you’re using? Did you also enable Application Aware Image Processing while backing your DC VMs? Thanks.
zabo2012
Novice

Post by zabo2012 »

running version 7.0.0.715
I tried restoring from a backup with Application Aware Image Processing enabled and without it, and both times the result was the same.
zabo2012
Novice

Post by zabo2012 »

I also tried running this

bcdedit /set safeboot dsrepair
bcdedit /deletevalue safeboot
shutdown -t 01 -r

no luck
zabo2012
Novice

Post by zabo2012 » 1 person likes this post

fixed by following these steps
http://www.veeam.com/kb_articles.html/kb1277
http://www.veeam.com/kb_articles.html/kb1280

boot the machine up in dsrm ( bcdedit /set safeboot dsrepair )

run the bcdedit command to set and remove dsrepair mode ( bcdedit /deletevalue safeboot )

net stop ntfrs

open regedit and

Open Regedit
Browse to the following extension: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NTDS\Parameters
Add the following dword (32 bit) value: Repl Perform Initial Synchronizations
And leave this set to 0.
http://www.veeam.com/kb_articles.html/kb1280
then

open regedit and expand: hklm\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NtFrs\Parameters\Backup/Restore\Process at Startup
Set the burflags to d2 (sometimes you will have to use d4, but only do this in isolated network or it will overwrite other DC's during replication)
http://www.veeam.com/kb_articles.html/kb1278

reboot
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Restoring VM DC from the application-aware backups shouldn’t include any manual intervention. So, I suggest you opening a ticket with our support team and let them take a look at what might have gone wrong in your environment.

Thanks.
zabo2012
Novice

Post by zabo2012 »

I did open a ticket, and this how the support team got it to work. something new with DC2012 security
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Even with DC 2012 everything should be automated assuming application-aware backup was successful.
zabo2012
Novice

Post by zabo2012 »

ok here is the case id#00455558 that was closed by the support team who contacted level 2 and said this is the way to fix it, can you escalate?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, we will take a look at your case with the QC team.
bob.baird.xedo
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Bob Baird

Post by bob.baird.xedo »

Hello,

I was just wondering if there has been any update on the OP's original issue as I'm having the exact same problem when trying to restore a DC 2012.

Thanks,
Bob
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

In case you're restoring one of the production domain controllers to an isolated lab, as OP did (i.e. there're no replication partners for this DC), authoritative restore is required, which can be performed with the recommendations provided above. In case when you're restoring single DC, no manual intervention is required, as stated above.
zabo2012
Novice

Post by zabo2012 »

restoring one DC or all multiple DC's required the same steps for me. any update from QC team?
bob.baird.xedo
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Bob Baird

Post by bob.baird.xedo »

foggy wrote:In case you're restoring one of the production domain controllers to an isolated lab, as OP did (i.e. there're no replication partners for this DC), authoritative restore is required, which can be performed with the recommendations provided above. In case when you're restoring single DC, no manual intervention is required, as stated above.

Thanks - that worked fine.

I was just wanting to restore one of my 3 production DC's into an isolated network for testing purposes, so used the "d4" value for Burflags.

I also had to delete my other DC's from AD Sites & Services in order to be able to create new objects.

Cheers,
Bob
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

zabo2012 wrote:restoring one DC or all multiple DC's required the same steps for me. any update from QC team?
I was referring to the case where there is just a single DC in production (not multiple).
OmiFreak
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Bernd Flatz

Post by OmiFreak »

How can I handle this problem ("There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request") in a Veeam Sure Backup job where I have included one of our AD controllers for the other servers to work? There everything should go automatically and I don't have the possibility to login with the Domain Revovery Password to change the bootsettings first.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Bernd, was this domain controller backed up with application-aware image processing enabled? Have you enabled DC role in the SureBackup job for it?
blithespirit
Veeam Software
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Paul Szelsi

Post by blithespirit »

What version of VBR are you running, there was a bug on some installs which gave a netlogon error, make sure you install update 1&2 on version 9.

This should let your DC authenticate in the application group and any linked jobs.