Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
SteelContainer
Service Provider
Liked: 21 times

Migrate subset of backup jobs

Post by SteelContainer »

Hi There,

I am wanting to split off a subset of our backup jobs to a separate new Veeam server.
I see that the entire config can be migrated for an entire Veeam server but is there a method for moving a subset of jobs, say 10 Jobs out of 100?

I was thinking that I might be able to perform a config backup\restore and then remove jobs\infrastructure not required on the new Veeam server.

Alternatively I can recreate the jobs from scratch and map them to the migrate backup files. I was hoping to avoid taking any active full backups after moving the jobs.

Thanks!
Cullan
DavoudTeimouri
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Davoud Teimouri

Re: Migrate subset of backup jobs

Post by DavoudTeimouri »

I think, you should move your backup files to the new server, then recreate your jobs and relate the new jobs to backup files.
Best Regards
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I was thinking that I might be able to perform a config backup\restore and then remove jobs\infrastructure not required on the new Veeam server.
The described procedure should work fine, assuming you've moved backup data first and paths to backups stay as is. Thanks.
SteelContainer
Service Provider

Post by SteelContainer »

Thanks Vladimir,

I'll give that a go.

Cheers,
Cullan
SteelContainer
Service Provider

Post by SteelContainer » 1 person likes this post

Hi All,

Just back to confirm this did work. The migrated jobs ran as per normal on the new server.

One gotcha is that I had to contact support to remove some of the infrastructure that was no longer accessible from the new Veeam server. This probably wouldn't be an issue for most cases but something to keep in mind if anyone else is thinking of doing the same.

Cheers,
Cullan
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You're right. Under certain circumstances there might be orphaned records present in product databases. Those entities cannot be removed automatically, so that where manual removal via SQL Management is needed.

Glad to hear that everything works as expected now.

Thanks.
SteelContainer
Service Provider

Post by SteelContainer »

Just an update on this.
This worked fine up until we updated our Veeam servers to 9.5 then our Enterprise Manager server stopped retrieving data from the duplicated server due to conflicting records (possibly some new checks implemented in 9.5). Support have advised that the only way to fix this is for us to rebuild either the original Veeam server or the duplicate from scratch so it receives new IDs in the database.
So if you use Enterprise Manager it's best to just create the jobs from scratch and just map the new jobs to the old backup files.