Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
yitzchok.berger
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Yitzchok Berger

Backup to Tape with SnapVault Source

Post by yitzchok.berger »

Is there a way to use Backup from SnapVault, whereby Veeam will backup directly from the SnapVault (as the source) filer and not kickoff a Snapmirror job from the primary netapp?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Backup to Tape with SnapVault Source

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Yitzchok,
Tape backup is a secondary job meaning you need to create a backup first using Veeam backup job and then copy it to the tape using tape backup job.
Primary backup job can leverage storage snapshots though.
Thanks!
yitzchok.berger
Influencer

I understand that tape is the secondary job. My concern is first with the backup from snapvault. from what I've determined when configuring the backup from snapvault job, Veeam doesn't create the backup file from the snapvault location. it first kicks off a snapvault copy job from the primary netapp to the secondary netapp, and only then creates the backup file.

my issue is the bandwidth in our environment between the 2 netapp filers. the process of the initial copy for our purposes takes a very long time. if Veeam went straight to the second filer and backed up directly from there it would save the time of the copy operation between the netapps. it seems that this is not how the "backup from snapvault" functions in veeam
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Here is an explanation how Backup from Snapvault works:
1. VBR triggers a VMware snapshot for a VM whose disks are located on the primary NetApp storage array.
2. VBR instructs NetApp to create an application-consistent storage snapshot on the primary NetApp storage array. The created snapshot holds the VMware VM snapshot. The VMware VM snapshot on the primary NetApp storage array is then deleted.
3. The storage snapshot is transported from the primary NetApp storage array to NetApp SnapMirror or SnapVault.
4. VBR checks if there is a backup proxy that has a direct connection to the NetApp SnapMirror or SnapVault. The transported storage snapshot is mounted to this backup proxy.
5. The backup job retrieves VM data from the mounted storage snapshot.
6. When the job finishes processing the VM, VBR instructs NetApp to delete a snapshot on the primary storage array. The transported snapshot on the secondary storage remains in the snapshot chain until it is removed by the retention policy.

Could you provide the job`s statistics?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

yitzchok.berger wrote:if Veeam went straight to the second filer and backed up directly from there it would save the time of the copy operation between the netapps.
But who should create an application-consistent storage snapshot on the second filer to backup from in this case?
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

Post by larry »

When I backup from my remote snap mirror I do so right after a SAN sync to save on WAN traffic. We sync the SAN at least daily.
1)Using Veeam create a job with primary storage as NetApp SnapShot. Secondary storage is SnapMirror. This will sync the SAN.
2)Create a Veeam backup job to backup from SnapMirror. Be sure and chooses proxies that are in the same location as your SnapMirror. Secondary target is SmartMirror. Job is scheduled to run after job created in step one using the "After this job". Will still take a snapshot and transfer it but will use little bandwidth.
3)Create a File to Tape job to copy the backup from step 2.

We use Veeam to control all the NetApp snapshots and snap mirror only the ones we want.

Only NetApp sends backup data over the WAN now but we have Veeam control what and when.
I have some number 1 jobs that do not do application-consistent snapshot but step 2 I always have Veeam make job 2 application-consistent.

Maybe one piece will help.
yitzchok.berger
Influencer

This seems like the right direction for me.

I sync about 5 NFS Datastores using NetApp SnapVault, all managed via Veeam. Depending on the Datastore, it runs anywhere from every 8 hours to every 12 hours.
And this is where I wanted to take in another step further - to build on the existing synced data already on the snapmirror/snapvault, and back that up to tape.
Following your instructions, step 1 we are already doing.
I don't really follow your Step 2. Is it possible to create a job with the source as snapmirror and the target as snapmirror?

Thanks.
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

Post by larry »

Yes the source will be snap mirror. Go to the secondary Target and add NetApp SnapMirror and check the box to use as data source. You now will use the SnapMirror as source. Very little will pull from the WAN if done right after the SAN sync.