Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
janezk
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Janez K

VEB backup traffic and info

Post by janezk »

Hi,
I'm using VEB to backup my physical server to VBR registrated backup repository (Data Domain) via LAN. I noticed that all data is transferred trough VBR server. This consumes a lot of resources and makes a lot of LAN traffic on VBR server itself. Is there a way to configure some other server that could do the job (eg. Proxy)? (I did a lot of search and could't find anything...)

Will the new Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows work in the same principle (as is derived almost directly from VEB Free)?

BR
Janez
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: VEB backup traffic and info

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Janez,
Is there a way to configure some other server that could do the job (eg. Proxy)?
If repository is configured as CIFS you can specify a proper gateway server to let the traffic flow thru the specified server instead of the VBR.
janezk
Enthusiast

Post by janezk »

HI,

Thank's for quick response...

repository is not configured as CIFS share... I have a DD attached via FC directly to my physical proxy (several of them) and using ddboost. As a secondary option using DD via LAN also with ddbooost.
It would be nice, if I could configure to use one of the proxy-ies...
So as I understand, this is the only option?( using CIFS share )

Regarding my second question... Is there anything yet known for the new Agent for Win? Will work the same way? If yes, this is a big drawback, at least for massive use...

BR
Janez
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

It seems that VBR is being used as a proxy. Please try to add the proxy that has FC connection with DD as a repository and target VEB backups there. In this case data should flow to DD via the FC connection.

Thanks
janezk
Enthusiast

Post by janezk »

Hi,

After your answer PTide I've done a little digging clearing few things to myself... (and I'm explaining here also for others...)

backup proxy role is one thing and gateway role is another, that are not necessarily linked together in one server...
In VBR there is a configuration for Backup Proxies, for gateway there is nothing (as far as I saw)...

In my configuration a VBR server does not have a proxy role... But as seen, it can still have a role of a gateway.
I think this is the case, as I have selected for backup target a DD repository configured to connect via LAN with automatic gateway selection. And an automatic selection selected a VBR server as a gateway...
I just hope this isn't the case with other VBR backup jobs to this repository (will look into this in next days)

So this is the cause of my "problem"...

the next job is to investigate how to disable the gateway role on the VBR server (as it seems it can't be disabled - at least in VBR console)
I really don't like to choose a specific server for a gateway (over the automatic selection) as this means a single point of failure and doesn't allow flexibility and loadbalancing...
But that's for another section in the forum...

Thanks for answers, and I hope this will help someone else clear similar issues...

BR

Janez
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Janes, you can make an exclusion just for this job/repository and select a gateway which is the "closest" to the DD repository, as it is advised in our User Guide > Gateway Server
janezk
Enthusiast

Post by janezk »

Hi,

I read this section of user guide before... an I understand the procedure... but essentially you are suggesting, that I add the same repository as a new one, with gateway server explicitly defined.
And then in VEB I choose this repository for target, correct?
This way i will achieve what I want, but honestly not in the most elegant manner possible... anyway, for now it will do the trick...

Thanks for your help and keep up the good work

BR
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, that's correct. It's not elegant, but it will do the trick. Also try the suggestion of removing proxy and repository roles from your backup server, which will effectively remove a gateway role too.
janezk
Enthusiast

Post by janezk »

Hi,

VEB server was not listed in the proxy role section, so that leaves only the repository role. I made a CIFS share of the local shared folder C:/Backup on VEB server just for test and it is presented normally as a backup repository. :) In the listing for replica metadata repository there was the VBR server as the only option - DD repositories are not listed !? :(
Now I can choose that new mapping as CIFS share and remove the VBR server from repository role...

Will do the report how it went next week, after the testing.

BR

Janez