PowerShell script exchange
N.Andreev
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Nick Andreev

Tape Job Size

Post by N.Andreev »

Hi guys, trying to workout how much space a backup to tape job consumes.

What I do for backup jobs right now is similar to this:

Code: Select all

foreach($job in Get-VBRJob) {
foreach($backup in Get-VBRBackup -Name $job.Name) {
$backup.getallstorages().Stats.backupsize
}
}
Can I get the same info for backup to tape jobs? I've found Get-VBRTapeBackup, but it's obsolete in Veeam 9 and returns an empty result.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Tape Job Size

Post by veremin »

Before we proceed to actual scripting, I want to check whether you've Veeam ONE deployed. I'm wondering because it can address your goal without any additional scripts. Thanks.
N.Andreev
Novice

Post by N.Andreev »

Hi, Vladimir. I don't believe any of our customers has it, no. Besides, the script is done already. I just need to add the tape component.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I don't think there is an easy way to achieve your goal. What you can do is to use this script to get list of tapes written during the latest session and, then, check free space left of them. Thanks.
N.Andreev
Novice

Post by N.Andreev »

v.Eremin wrote:I don't think there is an easy way to achieve your goal. What you can do is to use this script to get list of tapes written during the latest session and, then, check free space left of them. Thanks.
If there was only one job per tape it would be possible to determine the job backup size by simply subtracting free space from the tape media size. But there could be multiple. Therefore just the tape free space is not enough to work that out. Or am I missing something here?

I can easily find this information by going to Veeam Console and clicking on the job. If it's kept somewhere I assume it should be possible to query it. Or is it not the case?

Determining the size of a backup seems like a very basic functionality and expected to be supported regardless of whether it's a backup, tape, copy or a replication job. I'm surprised it's not there. Maybe worth opening a feature request then. What do you think?