Tape Job Size

PowerShell script exchange

Tape Job Size

Veeam Logoby N.Andreev » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:48 am

Hi guys, trying to workout how much space a backup to tape job consumes.

What I do for backup jobs right now is similar to this:
Code: Select all
foreach($job in Get-VBRJob) {
foreach($backup in Get-VBRBackup -Name $job.Name) {
$backup.getallstorages().Stats.backupsize
}
}

Can I get the same info for backup to tape jobs? I've found Get-VBRTapeBackup, but it's obsolete in Veeam 9 and returns an empty result.
N.Andreev
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Nick Andreev

Re: Tape Job Size

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:14 am

Before we proceed to actual scripting, I want to check whether you've Veeam ONE deployed. I'm wondering because it can address your goal without any additional scripts. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby N.Andreev » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:27 pm

Hi, Vladimir. I don't believe any of our customers has it, no. Besides, the script is done already. I just need to add the tape component.
N.Andreev
Novice

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:27 am

I don't think there is an easy way to achieve your goal. What you can do is to use this script to get list of tapes written during the latest session and, then, check free space left of them. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby N.Andreev » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:05 am

v.Eremin wrote:I don't think there is an easy way to achieve your goal. What you can do is to use this script to get list of tapes written during the latest session and, then, check free space left of them. Thanks.

If there was only one job per tape it would be possible to determine the job backup size by simply subtracting free space from the tape media size. But there could be multiple. Therefore just the tape free space is not enough to work that out. Or am I missing something here?

I can easily find this information by going to Veeam Console and clicking on the job. If it's kept somewhere I assume it should be possible to query it. Or is it not the case?

Determining the size of a backup seems like a very basic functionality and expected to be supported regardless of whether it's a backup, tape, copy or a replication job. I'm surprised it's not there. Maybe worth opening a feature request then. What do you think?
N.Andreev
Novice

Return to PowerShell