yakamoneye
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Tobias

File Level Restore not possible

Post by yakamoneye »

Hello Everyone,
i just realized that i have a big problem with my backup strategy:

besides of a daily backup of all VMs (reverse incremental), we are performing a backup of some important files every 4 hours. These are the network shares of the users and some accounting data.

For the first time, i just wanted to restore some files, and i just realized that this is not possible... When i choose "Right click - Restore", both options are greyed out. When i try to open in explorer, i get the message "Access denied". The rights should be fine, the user that is logged in to the Veeam console is a user that has full access to these files.

Funny thing is: the 4-hour-Backup job is a job where i removed the system partitions of the server, i only backup the file partitions. When i try a restore from the same server from the daily backup job where the system partition is included, all files can be restored...

How can i achieve to only backup file partitions without a system partition and still be able to restore the files??

Thanks

Tobias
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: File Level Restore not possible

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Exactly why I always warn against backing up different VM disks with different jobs. You can restore using 1-Click FLR from Enterprise Manager, though.
yakamoneye
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Tobias

Post by yakamoneye »

Thanks, foggy, for your answer and the link. I searched an hour in this forum and obviously used the wrong search terms...

Do i understand correctly:
- Without using Enterprise Manager, it is not possible to do guest file restores directly from the Backup Explorer when the system partition is not included in this backup file
- it is not recoommended to do backups and exclude the system partition from the job

How about backing up the system partition without additional data partitions? Would this cause any problem?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

yakamoneye wrote:- Without using Enterprise Manager, it is not possible to do guest file restores directly from the Backup Explorer when the system partition is not included in this backup file
Correct.
yakamoneye wrote:- it is not recoommended to do backups and exclude the system partition from the job
Not recommended keeping in mind further file-level restores without EM. ;)
yakamoneye wrote:How about backing up the system partition without additional data partitions? Would this cause any problem?
No, it shouldn't.