Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
chillware
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: David McCoy

When are we going to get a mobile app? =)

Post by chillware » 1 person likes this post

I'd looove to see a Veeam One Mobile App where we can get rich alert notifications, be able to resolve/ack alarms, see active alarms and performance data on our IT staff's Android phones and without having to login to the console. This would be amazing!!! I would much rather have all of my alerts come to an app rather than floods of email alert all the time.. =D
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: When are we going to get a mobile app? =)

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

Mobile app seems to be a handy thing in case of Veeam One, however I see one huge drawback...

Imagine that the machine which is used to manage Veeam One is not in an isolated network anymore and is accessible virtually by anyone. I mean that mobile app entails an increased threat of exposing your infrastructure. Sure you have passwords, screen-locks and can probably restrict usage of other apps and mobile networks on those smartphones but I don't think that backup infrastructure reporting tool should ever go mobile. Just imagine that one of those smartphones got lost.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

PTide wrote:Just imagine that one of those smartphones got lost.
That's why there is pin code for every smartphone and a remote wipe option ;)

As regards the original question, yes it is indeed a good capability, as a workaround for now you may want to use our web-based dashboards to review alarms data.
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Post by chrisdearden »

It does open up a whole can of worms around security and authentication, though I suppose you could use SSL and certificates in the same way as cloud connect?
jmc
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: jmc

[MERGED]: iPad Client?

Post by jmc »

hello @,

do you think about an ipad client for veeam products? in the case of yes, that would be great, because the chance to look or change anything outside the office are straight heavy. ok, i can use a webbrowser and connect to the enterprise manager, but not all customers have a manager installed and additional it's tricky enough.

greetings from germany.
thx
jeff
Everybody ask why the dinosaurs are gone - nobody ask why they are lived so long
dbirnseth
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Dan Birnseth

Post by dbirnseth » 1 person likes this post

One more vote for a Veeam One mobile app. I would like to see it function similarly to the desktop application. Green icon says all is good, red bad. Click the notification to get details and open the app.

I use an Android app called aNag for monitoring nagios and it works quite well. If I could monitor Veeam this way then I'd no longer be dependent on email for knowing status of my servers.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the feedback! Did you have a chance to take a look at our web-bases dashboards in Veeam ONE? For us it shouldn't take much time to adapt these dashboards to be displayed on the mobile devices. Would this address your FR?

Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Looks like the app is mostly asked for pane of glass monitoring and basic management. Monitoring indeed can be achieved via Veeam ONE Reporter web interface while app can be useful for management.
Dan, apart from monitoring, what would you like to have in the app?
Thanks!
lreese
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Logan Reese

Post by lreese » 1 person likes this post

Hello all,

I could see having a mobile app that organizes alerts being useful. Imagine getting tailored alerts straight to your cell phone; if I'm understanding correctly this wouldn't give any more vulnerability than checking alerts through an email.

Just some thoughts from a noob.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Logan,
The alerts can be send to your cellphone as emails. Plus you may use Veeam ONE Reporter Alarms dashboard to review the alarms in real-time.
Thanks
antipolis
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

Post by antipolis »

dbirnseth wrote:One more vote for a Veeam One mobile app. I would like to see it function similarly to the desktop application. Green icon says all is good, red bad. Click the notification to get details and open the app.

I use an Android app called aNag for monitoring nagios and it works quite well. If I could monitor Veeam this way then I'd no longer be dependent on email for knowing status of my servers.
I am totally with you on this... it would be really great and imho way better than just having the web dashboards on mobile devices and is also better than just receiving email alerts (I have mail notifications off on my phone, "disconnecting" after hours is important to me... but I still want to see critical alerts happening in my DC ! anag if perfect for this...)

With nagios there is also plenty of addons and applications you can use for the same purpose (having a status icon) on regular computers, like nagstatmon; something similar would be great as well (lightweight app for just status monitoring vs the big heavy one client)

I am actually thinking of adding veeamone to nagios with snmp alerts just so I can see veeamone's status with anag and nagstatmon but it would be nice to be able to do that natively
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thanks for the feedback, Eric.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Eric, your request is taken into account.
Out of topic, could you explain for what kind of monitoring you use Nagios and Veeam ONE?
Thanks!
antipolis
Enthusiast

Post by antipolis »

Nagios is currently used for our filers, hypervisors, virtual machines and switches monitoring

I am currently in the process of migrating to veeam one for the hypervisors and virtual machines monitoring

I will keep nagios at least for the filers, switches, and also for the non production hosts and VMs (for which we don't have a veeam license)

On a related note we also use cacti for some network and filer metrics
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for the reply!
By the way, we are releasing new version of Veeam ONE within month which works much faster and has new options.
Let us know how it was once you migrate hypervisors and VMs monitoring.
rcocchiararo
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Roberto Cocchiararo

Post by rcocchiararo »

Just registered to chime in.

It would be GREAT to have an app that at least allows us to see the alerts and GETS them via PUSH notifications, not by email.

Why?

Because sometimes the mail related VMs die.

I currently have Zenoss and PRTG (differnet companies) with apps that use push notifications. (zenoss via 3rd party, PRTG via official).

Sure, their apps can also operate on both systems, but we have NOTHING exposed to internet, so if i don't enable my VPN, i can't use them for actual control, but the PUSH NOTIFICATIONS keep arriving, and i am able to act upon a mail shortage.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Hello Roberto and welcome to the community!
Your request makes sense. We`ve not planned to create an app yet, but your request is a step toward it.
Thanks!
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen » 1 person likes this post

I used to do this using Prowl in the past (see http://foonet.be/2014/03/10/sending-vee ... ing-prowl/)

You can basically re-use this to send it to any PUSH related application which has an API :-)
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
dimaslan
Service Provider
Full Name: Dimitris Aslanidis

Post by dimaslan »

This would work great with PRTG as well. We are already using Availability console, however I cannot just learn Java to do this nor can I take up the time of our developers here. We are an MSP provider and we monitor close to 1000 jobs daily (backups, copy jobs, replication) and we already have some PRTG use on monitoring Veeam but it's just using powershell scripts, not live. For large organizations, backup teams need to keep an eye on jobs 24/7. PRTG os a tool that is available for all platforms and devices and can alert you if something goes wrong.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Hello Dimitris,
There is an unofficial mobile app for basic monitoring and management of VBR jobs.
Although it's unofficial it's written by current and former Veeam employees.
As for Veeam ONE app, we will take the request in to account.
Thanks!
DarrenToews
Influencer
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Darren Toews

Post by DarrenToews »

Add my vote for a Veeam One mobile app! Except I'd want iOS. :)

Love the push notification idea above as well.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Your request is taken into account, Darren!
dimaslan
Service Provider

Post by dimaslan »

Actually,

We used to have Enterprise Manager and repurposed that server to install Availability Console after one of your colleagues suggested it was going to replace Enterprise Manager.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov » 2 people like this post

Enterprise Manager will still be in place as Availability Console is a tool for service providers while EM will be used as a management component that allows manage multiple Veeam Backup & Replication installations.
dimaslan
Service Provider

Post by dimaslan »

I understand. I would also like to give my vote to a mobile app. Me and my colleague are working long hours monitoring job statuses and it's not uncommon in weekends to have a major issue, perform major changes and haev jobs run for hours. Instead of having to loging to remote servers, open apps, login again, just to monitor progress (live), an app could give a view of all warnings / errors / failures / running jobs. That way, even while on the road or wherever, you can simply open your app and check where that new full backup is at.
The security issue could be mitigated simply by only providing monitoring to this console or just like the Veeam suite, create a user just for viewing to use with it.
Live feed is important, many times a job still running after a certain point is not a failure but indicates an issue or can cause production impact.
I would love to see Veeam produce such an app.

Thank you!
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Dimitris,
Your request is taken into account. Have you tried to use Veeam ONE Reporter (which is a web tool) from your mobile phone?
Dashboards in Veeam ONE Reporter provide the information you are after.
Thanks!
johnamaro
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: john amaro

Post by johnamaro »

here is the link check this out i found this app on a reddit thread may this is helpful.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... tcher.mapp
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hey John,

Yes, this is an unoffical app for Veeam B&R developed by the community (cannot open support cases if something does not work), but it's pretty decent.

Thanks!