Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
GhalebDweikat
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ghaleb Dweikat

Admin Share requirement to add servers

Post by GhalebDweikat »

Hello,

At the moment, we are unable to add Windows Servers to our infrastructure if access to the Admin$ is not provided. While it is indeed a requirement to deploy Veeam agents and services to the target machine, it is still against our security policy to grant access to the Admin$.
Is it possible to explore other methods of deploying services/agents to target windows machine without requesting access to the Admin$?

Regards,
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Admin Share requirement to add servers

Post by foggy »

You can try to install the required packages manually (can be found Backup/Packages in the product installation folder).
GhalebDweikat
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ghaleb Dweikat

Post by GhalebDweikat »

We attempted that with one of the support agents but without access to the admin share Veeam cannot detect the server since it tries to connect to the admin share anyways even if the packages are installed manually.
widmerkarl
Expert
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: Karl Widmer

Post by widmerkarl »

Hello Ghaleb,

Please make sure that all ports necessary for Veeam are accessible as mentioned in this KB article:
https://www.veeam.com/kb1518

This means the ports of the VM you want to backup on the one hand and the Veeam backup server on the other.

As read on MWPreson.net it is possible to install all the Veeam packages manually:
http://blog.mwpreston.net/2016/01/12/ma ... -services/

I'm not sure if Veeam tries to connect over the Admin$ share if any components are installed, i don't know this behaviour.

For example when you have a Veeam proxy somewere on your network, you should be able to add this server as a proxy in Veeam when you installed the necessary packages. There shouldn't be an additional try from Veeam to install the packages when the connection over the necessary ports is possible.
Karl Widmer
IT System Engineer

vExpert 2017-2024
VMware VCP-DCV 2023 / VCA6-DCV / VCA5-DCV / VCA5-Cloud / VMUG Leader
Former Veeam Vanguard / VMCE v9 / VMTSP v9 / VMSP v9
Personal blog: https://www.driftar.ch
Twitter: @widmerkarl
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

kawiMTF wrote:I'm not sure if Veeam tries to connect over the Admin$ share if any components are installed, i don't know this behaviour.
Access to share shouldn't be required once components are installed.