Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
anbeca
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Carsten Krämer

Quick migration and Backup job

Post by anbeca »

Hello,

i like to know what is supposed to happen to the Backup job when I quick migrate a VM.

I tried to migrate a VM from one host and storage to another standalone host. I checked "delete VM after migration". After the migration the backup job backed up the VM from the new location.
After that I tried to migrate a VM from the same host I did before to the same new host as before. This time I did not check the "delete after migration" box.

After the migration completed the old VM got renamed to xxxxx_migrated and the new VM on the new host got the original name. The backup job did not switch to the new VM and now backs up the old VM xxxxx_migrated. Is this supposed to be like this?

Best regards
Carsten Krämer
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Quick migration and Backup job

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Backup jobs indentify target VMs by morefID, not by names. In the second case your original VM has not been deleted thus kept it's unique morefID thus the backup job kept working with the original VM.

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Also, keep in mind that after each Quick Migration cycle an initial backup cycle will be a full one, since VM gets a new MorefID assigned during migration. Thanks.
angelfive
Novice

[MERGED] Quick Migration not deleting source VMs

Post by angelfive »

Hi all,

I'm using Quick Migration in licensed Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 (update 3) to move VMs from a vSphere 5.5 cluster to a vSphere 6.5 cluster.
I'm choosing the option to "Delete source VM files upon successful migration", however, the source VMs are never deleted, and the backup jobs are never updated. The source VMs names are just appended with _migrated.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

It seems like the option was not selected (performed by the backup server) according to the description you have. Can you run the job one more time with a test VM (dummy) and check if that gets deleted or not? If not, then I would suggest to review the log files. If you need assistance with logs review, feel free to contact our support team. Thanks!
angelfive
Novice

Post by angelfive »

I have tried it around 6 or 7 times now, both trying with the "Delete source VM files upon successful migration" selected, and trying with it not selected. The result is always the same, the source VMs are never deleted, just appended with _migrated. I can find no clues in the logs.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Do you use admin account to connect to the vCenter Server? If yes, then please open a support case and let our team review the logs too.
ddayton
Enthusiast
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Don Dayton

Post by ddayton »

I have the same problem that 99% of the time the delete source fails. However the job detail explains why.

Source VM will not be deleted (cannot detect target VM heartbeat)
Updating configuration database skipped (source VM not deleted)

My question is since this is almost always an issue why can't we see some options such as retry count and retry delay like we get with a backup job?