Quick migration and Backup job

VMware specific discussions

Quick migration and Backup job

Veeam Logoby anbeca » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:51 am

Hello,

i like to know what is supposed to happen to the Backup job when I quick migrate a VM.

I tried to migrate a VM from one host and storage to another standalone host. I checked "delete VM after migration". After the migration the backup job backed up the VM from the new location.
After that I tried to migrate a VM from the same host I did before to the same new host as before. This time I did not check the "delete after migration" box.

After the migration completed the old VM got renamed to xxxxx_migrated and the new VM on the new host got the original name. The backup job did not switch to the new VM and now backs up the old VM xxxxx_migrated. Is this supposed to be like this?

Best regards
Carsten Krämer
anbeca
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Carsten Krämer

Re: Quick migration and Backup job

Veeam Logoby PTide » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:50 am

Hi,

Backup jobs indentify target VMs by morefID, not by names. In the second case your original VM has not been deleted thus kept it's unique morefID thus the backup job kept working with the original VM.

Thanks
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 246 times

Re: Quick migration and Backup job

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:38 am

Also, keep in mind that after each Quick Migration cycle an initial backup cycle will be a full one, since VM gets a new MorefID assigned during migration. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Return to VMware vSphere