Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
MarcinS
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

deletion of backups (feature request)

Post by MarcinS »

Hello Guys,

today i manually deleted backup file from storage (repository). Then i re-scanned repository. Then i open backup properties for that backup(vm). I found that backup which i deleted is greyed and tip when selected says something that "backup file is missing on storage device" what of course is 100% true in that situation. When right mouse click on it is shows new (for me) menu :

Forget > This and dependent backups
Forget > All unavailable backups
Delete from disk > This and dependent backups
Delete from disk > All unavailable backups

Now mine question and feature request coming :)

- Q: what is difference between Forget and Delete from disk ..i check both of them make that Veeam "forget" about that backup. Option "delete" is no sense for me as file already not exist what in real was reason that menu forgot/delete appear :)

- REQ1: Please add such menu (forget/delete) available for all elements on list in backup properties. Beside to actual situation that is only possible for deleted backups. Then distinguish option between Forget and Delete will have sense cause real file will be deleted or only removed from veeam database information. This option will also help to avoid delete file manually and then re-scan repository and then delete/forget in veeam

- REQ2: make (for example button) possible from inside backup properties window to force start something like now for full repository. Mean scan for changes/deletion but inside one "folder" of that particular backup folder beside to start full repository scanning which take time

- REQ3: this i only tract as dream that inside veeam backup properties window veeam will show another physical files inside that backup folder. I need this cause i found that many time insides backup folders lays many "old" incremental or full backup files which veeam orphan :) and even after scanning doesn't want to take care :) ...so this option allow me faster cleaning especially that some time these files are huge ;) and i keep some old backup from ex 2013 (we have 2016 now) and its take mine storage space

regards
Marcin
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: deletion of backups (feature request)

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Marcin,

- Q: what is difference between Forget and Delete from disk ..i check both of them make that Veeam "forget" about that backup. Option "delete" is no sense for me as file already not exist what in real was reason that menu forgot/delete appear :)
Forget is like "Remove from inventory", i.e. delete metadata, but keep the file. Delete means delete backups themselves.

REQ1: Makes sense. Thanks for the request.
REQ2: How much time does full rescan take in your case?
REQ3: Also makes sense, but how would you differ orphan backups from real ones? You may want to have a historical backup of 3-years old data.

Thanks!
MarcinS
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Post by MarcinS »

about Q:

>>Yep You explain how i understood but it only mean little no sense
Forget is like "Remove from inventory", i.e. delete metadata, but keep the file
...how can keep file when file is not exist ? This menu "forgot" appear only when veeam not found physically backup :)
Delete means delete backups themselves.
Like above You can not delete something what i already not exist. Also from mine test i see that delete mean also forgot from inventory

Resuming for Forgot = Delete = Only Remove from inventory database ...little 1 point for You cause its distinguished when for example You select vbk which have some vbi ..then ok deleting one can schedule deleting rest ones as backup chain will have no sense...but mostly is the same

REQ1:
Makes sense. Thanks for the request.
i will wait for such feature

REQ2:
How much time does full rescan take in your case?
not so long in real but why to scan full repository when You make changes in 1 folder :)

REQ3:
Also makes sense, but how would you differ orphan backups from real ones? You may want to have a historical backup of 3-years old data.
like i mention veeam already not recognize many files which for sure are produced by veeam in past . So i think about list when You just scan folder and You find something what veeam recognize so show it on list as now as vbk or vbi etc and when found what he not recognize (even when it look like veeam file) just show on list for example on red color with checkbox option to delete :)
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

about Q: Veeam doesn`t know you`ve deleted the file manually. It`s recommended to delete them via the console. For sure VBR cannot delete non-existing file.

FR2: Thanks for the request! :)

FR3: That confuses me a bit. Could you give more info about files that are not recognized by VBR? If there are some Veeam backups not recognized by VBR, should not it start to recognize them instead of deleting?

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

FR3; sounds like a garbage file report, but these should only be present if there are issues when applying retention policy. I'm also curios on the way how to reproduce this situation in the first place.