Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
DDIT
Expert
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Michael Yorke

cannot write to multiple drives

Post by DDIT »

Hi

Apologies for not including a ticket number. Firstly, it's the weekend and I'm not at work - just want to ask this question. Also, I've had so many issues with tape functionality in Veeam I've lost track of what has been logged and what hasn't.

Anyway, the latest issue is I have two separate jobs targeting two separate medial pools, configured to pick tapes from two separate libraries.

One library is a single-drive Quantum Superloader. The other is a standalone IBM tape drive.

I have both jobs running but one is "waiting for tape resource availability". What does that mean if everything is separate?

Regards
DDIT
Expert

Re: Cannot write to multiple drives???

Post by DDIT »

sorry, realised my topic subject is misleading - it should be "cannot write to multiple drives"
DDIT
Expert

Re: Cannot write to multiple tapes???

Post by DDIT »

ok, so the job running on the standalone drive is a once-a-month backup of a NAS share (around 3.5TB of small files). The job will need 3 LTO5 tapes to complete. Due to the size of the job and the speed it runs it will take 3-5 days. Thats fine.

However, after 40 hours it now reports that tape 1 is full and to insert a blank tape, as expected. meanwhile, my other regular(nightly) job is still waiting - there is no way to "promote" it to run now.

If Veeam can only run one job at once (despite targeting separate drives, pools, tapes etc) then we can never run the NAS job as it simply takes too long and will impact our regular job schedule.
DDIT
Expert

Re: Cannot write to multiple tapes???

Post by DDIT »

urgh! this problem got stranger and stranger. so i cancelled my NAS job expecting my regular job to start. no, that then gave the same message about waiting for tape resources. what!? its a different job, different pools, etc. so i stopped that job. waited for it to mark as failed. then started it again. same message - it was waiting for a tape from a drive that job had never referenced before! i thought 'great, all my tape jobs are hosed!'.

i reviewed all the settings then recalled that when Veeam support were remotely connected on friday they changed my regular backup tape job to target a different pool (this was to attempt a fix an issue in #01927063. thankfully i have now reverted the settings and my regular job is working as normal.

Grrr to Veeam support. i think i'm entitled to a free upgrade to Ent Edition for this inconvenience ;-)

ps: sorry fir the ranting first post - i hope you appreciate how baffled and confused I was.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: cannot write to multiple drives

Post by veremin »

Glad to hear that your confusion has been resolved.

You were right in saying that with the given settings two jobs are totally independent from each other and should not be connected any how. And that's what you saw once the settings had been reverted to their original values.

Thanks.