Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
anglerzac
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Zac

help with copy job retention logic

Post by anglerzac »

Hello again, so at my main Veeam site imagine I have the following jobs (RPO-Weekly-Windows, RPO-Daily-Windows) which take daily and weekly backups as appropriate of Windows systems and put them into the same repository.

RPO-Weekly-Windows is schedule to run daily on a saturday
RPO-Daily-Windows is schedule to run daily, everyday

On my offsite repo I then use a copy job (RPO-Offsite-30days) pointed at the repository previously mentioned to suck data offsite each day.
On this server I also have the job RPO-Offsite-6Months which is pointed at the RPO-Offsite-30days repository to take monthly archives with 6 month retention.

RPO-Offsite-30days is set to copy every 1 day and keep 30 restore points
RPO-Offsite-6Months is set to copy every 1 day and keep 2 restore points with the archive option ticked and set to 6 monthly

In this configuration will my RPO-Offsite-30days end up having 4-5 restore points from the RPO-Weekly-Windows job or will it have 30 restore points which in effect is over 6 months of weekly backups? I'm thinking that the retention point number has no consideration to the age of the restore point which makes it hard for me to achieve what I'm trying here?

The logic should be correct in the 6 monthly job?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: help with copy job retention logic

Post by foggy »

anglerzac wrote:On my offsite repo I then use a copy job (RPO-Offsite-30days) pointed at the repository previously mentioned to suck data offsite each day.
On this server I also have the job RPO-Offsite-6Months which is pointed at the RPO-Offsite-30days repository to take monthly archives with 6 month retention.
Do these jobs have similar sets of VMs? In this case the second one might not be required, you can enable GFS monthlies in the first job.
anglerzac wrote:In this configuration will my RPO-Offsite-30days end up having 4-5 restore points from the RPO-Weekly-Windows job or will it have 30 restore points which in effect is over 6 months of weekly backups?
It will have 4-5 restore points for VMs backed up by the RPO-Weekly-Windows job.
anglerzac
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Zac

Post by anglerzac »

Thank you for clarifying, I thought Veeam just saw them as points and took no account of their age with a simple retention schedule.

Regarding your 1st comment please see veeam-backup-replication-f2/help-with-c ... 37647.html
this was recommended becuase I'm using two volumes/repositiries on one server with different disks in each, SAS/SATA etc.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

anglerzac wrote:this was recommended becuase I'm using two volumes/repositiries on one server with different disks in each, SAS/SATA etc.
Two jobs make sense then.