Brudertac
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Danny Wackes

Where to install Backup & Replication?

Post by Brudertac »

Hey,

we want to test Backup & Replication.
We´re running one HyperV Host (NOT a Domain Member) with some VMs running on it. (SBS2011 and other Windows Servers, all in the same Domain :) ).

What is the best Setup for BE in this case? Install it on the HyperV Host or on a VM Server?
IMHO i would install it on the HyperV Host. Because the Restore of the Host would be easy and fast. (Using Entpoint Backup for it)

Thanks for Info an that.

best regards
Danny
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Where to install Backup & Replication?

Post by foggy »

It doesn't really matter where to install Veeam B&R, restoring its configuration onto a new installation would also be fast and simple.
Brudertac
Novice

Post by Brudertac »

Thanks @foggy

But, are they any Pro´s and Con´s?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

The performance would be about the same, but what is more important is how you used to manage your applications. Having Veeam backup deployed as a VM will make it more portable (you can always migrate this VM from a faulty host to a healthy one). If you deploy it on a physical server, then it will remove additional layer between the hardware and the application, but will make you dependent on the host health state. If host dies for some reason, you will also temporary lose your backup server until you migrate it to another host or deploy a new VM and import a backed up configuration. Thus said, it's really up to you, as both methods are fully supported and widely used by our existing customers.
ACC
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: ACC

Post by ACC »

My preference for hypervisors that run business critical VMs is to keep them as clean as possible. An important one for me is that in numerous cases i fixed a malfunctioning Windows application with a reboot, not ideal if that so happens to be your hypervisor. Another one is stability issues, when that occurs i want to keep the list as short as possible and not having go through a long list of possible causes. Another important one is security, i prefer to keep the attack surface of my hypervisors as small as possible by installing only the required component and by not allowing software being installed on the hypervisor the list of users with administrator rights on the hypervisor can be limited. Software developers maybe good at writing software, but are usually horrendous at server management. With HyperV hypervisors i do install the Veeam onhost proxy because of the performance benefits when the backups are made.
sanjaykrk
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Sanjay kumar

Post by sanjaykrk »

Danny,
If you have a lot of VMs and the underlying storage is not local (but say some SAN), you might consider implementing Proxy on a different machine.
Otherwise, depending on when backups are run, VMs requirements for system resources, proxy will consume/compete with VMs for Hyper-V resources(compute/mem).
Brudertac
Novice

Post by Brudertac »

Hello and thanks for the insights.
I also like to keep the hypervisor as clean as possible... But currently we use an competitor Backup Solution (well, not really a competitor :) ) which is also installed on the hypervisor.
This is running fine right now. (apart from other Problems with that Software, that's why i like to change that....)
(we have also the timewindow to run the Backups at night when there is no heavy load on those Servers...)

So, i thing we will install B&R on the Host for now.
Thanks again!

best regards
Danny
WEEAMNoob
Novice
Full Name: WEEAMNoob

[MERGED] Best deployment practices for small environment

Post by WEEAMNoob »

Hey,

Just got a new B&R license and I wonder what would be the best place for installing the VEEAM components.

Currently we have 2 Hyper-V hosts (although only 1 server is in production currently) and multiple NAS boxes for backup storage.

Should I create a VM and install all the components into it or separate them to various virtual machines/physical servers?

The license came with a VEEAM ONE license as well.

Cheers
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Best deployment practices for small environment

Post by DGrinev »

Hi and welcome to the community!

You can use simple deployment scenario, however, it doesn't really matter where to install.
Please review this existing thread for additional information.

Thanks!
WEEAMNoob
Novice
Full Name: WEEAMNoob

Re: Best deployment practices for small environment

Post by WEEAMNoob »

Thanks, I'll go through those.
hasayeretFMG
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Rotem Ben

[MERGED] Veeam installation on WinServer 2012r2 - Best metho

Post by hasayeretFMG »

Hi guys,

Any recommendations installation-wise when it comes to the Windows Server itself and Veeam? We're using Windows Server 2012r2 std and planning to install Veeam on the OS drive (2 1TB RAID1 disks) and then all the backup data repository on a different drive (our "D" drive which is a combination of 10 4TB RAID6 disks). Sound reasonable? anything else windows-wise you'd recommend (Roles etc. ...)?
I just want to make sure I do it once and do it by the book :)

Thanks!!
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Veeam installation on Windows Server 2012r2 - Best metho

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Ben,

In the previous thread we discussed with you RAID 10 for your all-in-one server that would be faster than RAID 6, however, this way you will get more usable space.
There are no special conditions related to the OS except system requirements for the Veeam B&R server.
Please review this existing thread for additional information. Thanks!