Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
cybertek

Server 2008

Post by cybertek »

Trying to install the product on a Server 2008 SP2 and i get "Current Operating system is not supported or lacks the required service pack. See system requirements for more information.

I sent an email to tech support and was sent a generic email telling me 1.Email is not a valid way to report an issue and 2.to open a case from the control panel etc..

Response 1: On the knowledge base, the only thing i found looking to fix my issue, was and article stating "3. Reporting Issues - Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE Guide
For Veeam Endpoint Backup , Veeam Software provides support by email only. Important! Mind the following: If you have any questions..."

Email only??? Really Which one is correct?

Response 2: I don't have the software installed to be able to perform the steps.

Should i just move on and find a better organized company?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Server 2008

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi,

First, Veeam Endpoint Backup requires at least Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 and that is the reason why it isn't able to install.

Second: Support for Veeam Endpoint Backup Free is also free, but comes without SLA. It is explained here: https://www.veeam.com/blog/technical-su ... -free.html

I do understand that you can't perform this procedure as the software isn't installed, and that is why we then normally work with the forums so that support can contact you directly. In the future, we will have different versions (including paid versions with different support options) where our support will be the same as for our other paid solutions. But unfortunately that won't solve your issue as that OS will not be supported.

PS: Could you tell me where it states in the user guide? I seem to be overlooking it but if it is not correct I can ask the technical writers to adapt it...

Thanks!

Hope it helps

Brgds
Mike
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

And here is a link to system requirements doc (for your convenience) > https://www.veeam.com/veeam_endpoint_fr ... _en_rn.pdf
cybertek

Post by cybertek »

Thanks for the help. I will need to confirm that R2 is approved at this location and move forward.

Re:PS I didn't read it in the manual, it was in the forums when i was doing different searches trying to find any relevant info on my issue.

BTW, I didn't think to read the manual b/c I couldn't install the software yet... Plus, I am a guy and we never read the instructions.. right? J/K
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Lol... Well, when you start working with Veeam, you will learn that reading the fine manual is always good... We put a lot of effort in it ;-)
trammers
Lurker
Liked: never

[MERGED] windows server 2008 sp1

Post by trammers »

Good morning,

I have to install Veeam End point backup on a windows server 2008 sp1. Unfortunately I can not update the server with the R2 version.
I would like to know if there is a version of Veeam End point old backup that can be installed on Windows Server 2008 SP1, and where can I download it.

Thamks for your help
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi trammers,

Unfortunately, pure Windows 2008 is not supported.
JOL
Lurker
Full Name: JOL

[MERGED] Endpoint Backup with Windows 2008 SP2 FE

Post by JOL »

Hello,

I can't install Endpoint Backup on Server with Windows Server 2008 SP2 FE (Foundation Edition).

Do you know if it is compatible ?

Regards
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

No, it is not. R2 is the minimum supported version for 2008.
anglerzac
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Zac

Server 2008 support

Post by anglerzac »

Is there any way to fool the intstaller so in a non supported way I can try taking a backup of server 2008 systems?

I appreciate it won't have been fully tested or even supported but *might* work so I'd like to try if its just a installer check preventing me?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

That's not possible, as Windows Server 2008 is based on the Vista engine, while Windows Server 2008 R2 on Windows 7. These are two completely different systems.
Juliian_Tisistemas
Lurker

[MERGED] Veaam agent for Windows old version

Post by Juliian_Tisistemas »

Hello good day.
I have 2 servers with Windows Server 2008 operating system.
The current version of Veeam Agent for Windows is compatible with version of Windows server 2008 R2 and later.
Could someone send me an Agent version 1.0 or 1.1 installer if I support Windows Server 2008?
I understand that it is out of support but I need to back up these two servers.
Thank you very much
regards
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Re: Veaam agent for Windows old version

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Juliian,

Previous version didn't support it either.

Thanks!
vip_4553
Lurker
Full Name: vip_4553

Post by vip_4553 »

technically can install on 2008 just doesn't work...

just installed and the service gets all hosed up... but actually can install...
figuring it just needs some dependencies met
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, but that would be the unsupported deployment anyway.