Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
tom.starren
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tom Starren

Advice on VEEAM setup

Post by tom.starren »

Hello,

My name is Tom and I work for a Professional Services company in the Netherlands. Currently our VEEAM/vShpere environment looks like the following:
  • We've got two sites with each there own vShpere cluster
  • Production VMs run on NetApp storage in a separate 10G LAN
  • VEEAM job manager runs on each cluster in a VM
  • VEEAM Proxy and repositories are located on a physical Windows 2012 R2 server with a DAS connected to it
  • Windows server runs Deduplication feature
  • VMs are being copied to each other each day
  • WAN accelerator is used
With the release of Windows Server 2016 the deplucation feature has got some improvements and I would like to upgrade the current proxy/repository servers to this new OS. I also want to upgrade VEEAM to the new version when it's released. This migration makes it a good time to look at the overall setup of the architecture and this is where I could use some advice from other users and VEEAM experts. I've got the following options in mind:
  • Not changing the VEEAM setup only upgrading the Windows OS on the physical (and maybe virtual) VEEAM servers
  • Use the current physical VEEAM server as hypervisor and run multiple VEEAM proxies/repository servers on it (connected to the same local DAS storage)
Please let me know what you think and would advice. If there is more information you need, please let me know.

Kr,
Tom
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Advice on VEEAM setup

Post by PTide »

Hi,

If you are talking about OS inline upgrade then please check this thread. Otherwise you should backup your current Veeam configuration first, deploy a new server, and import the configuration from the backup. Check this KB for details.
Use the current physical VEEAM server as hypervisor and run multiple VEEAM proxies/repository servers on it (connected to the same local DAS storage)
Yes, you can do that, however I'm not sure what such splitting will give you aside from ease of management? Why not to use the server as a single powerful proxy+repo?

Thanks
tom.starren
Enthusiast

Post by tom.starren »

PTide wrote: Use the current physical VEEAM server as hypervisor and run multiple VEEAM proxies/repository servers on it (connected to the same local DAS storage). Yes, you can do that, however I'm not sure what such splitting will give you aside from ease of management? Why not to use the server as a single powerful proxy+repo?
This is the current setup and it's working fine, so maybe I need to stick with that.
Delo123
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Guido Meijers

Post by Delo123 »

Hi Tom,

long time no see, what did you end op with on your DAS? Raid,5,6,50 or 10 after all? Using storage spaces?

Guido
tom.starren
Enthusiast

Post by tom.starren »

Hi Guido,

I went with multiple RAID5 groups (4 groups of 6 disks) and add them all together with Storage Spaces. Want to upgrade to Windows 2016 because of the tweaks in the deduplication part.

Tom
Delo123
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Guido Meijers

Post by Delo123 »

Yup, same here. Howver got some really bis jbos now (60x8TB), will probably go for Raid 10 ;) and switching to 2016 too
tom.starren
Enthusiast

Post by tom.starren »

Can you sent me the specifications of the jbod you currently have via PM? This could be handy for the future.