Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
geekgirl
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Angie

Install for first time with remote SQL2014 Database

Post by geekgirl »

Does anyone have any explicit directions for initial installation using a remote database. The documentation leads me to believe I can do it however when I use the browse button my ODBC connector (Sql 10 native) doesn't come up in the list and if I just hand jam the name and instance it never finds the database. I've tested with both the service account I made for veeam who is the db_owner in SQL and also just trying to connect via the sa account. This is the error I get:

My test using the ODBC connector comes up successfully. Any assistance would be appreciated.

:D :D
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Install for first time with remote SQL2014 Database

Post by Gostev »

Well, to be honest no special directions are needed as it is super straight forward and just works all the time.
May be in your case some client components are broken or missing, please open a support case to investigate.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Angie,

Error 26 is a common error when trying to connect remotely. It basically means that you cannot receive an SSRP (SQL Server Resolution Protocol) response UDP packet from the SQL Browser. Unfortunately, it can have many reasons :-(

So the normal troubleshooting (by MSFT) would be:
* Make sure your server name is correct.
* Make sure your instance name is correct and there is actually such an instance on your target machine. (I can't see from the error message if you are using a named instance or not but I can actually not remember this error coming up with the default instance...)
* Make sure the server machine is reachable (DNS)
* Make sure SQL Browser service is running on the server.
* If your firewall is enabled on the server, you need to put sqlbrowser.exe and/or UDP port 1434 into exception. Also, don't forget to put 1433 TCP in it if it is the default instance, and if not the default instance, use the correct port defined in SQL server...

I know you said that ODBC connection works to the server, but (believe it or not) that can actually work because you just make a connection...

OK, to make a long story shorter...

SQL Browser on the SQL server must be enabled, UDP port 1434 needs to be open if you are connecting to a named instance... That would be my first tests....

Let us know

Mike
geekgirl
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Angie

Post by geekgirl »

Thanks so much Mike! It was SQL Browser.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Awesome!

Good to hear everything is OK now.

Cheers
Mike