Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 289 times
Full Name: Max

VMware Language Support

Post by Regnor »

Hi everyone,

I've just came across this statement: "Only English version of VMware Infrastructure is supported"

Can someone explain this to me?
I've never experienced any language limitations with Veeam, so is this statement false?
Or does it relate to the old VMware Infrastructure(like 3.5), which on the other hand isn't supported at all?

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6699 times

Re: VMware Language Support

Post by Gostev »

We're not testing with non-English versions of VMware, thus the statement (even thought it may work just fine).
Regnor
VeeaMVP

Post by Regnor »

Hi Anton,

thanks for your reply.
I've never read anything about language limitations and I've only found this requirement in the Whats New v9 PDF. Also there seems to be no limitation regarding Hyper-V.

Thinking about it, is it event possible to install vCenter in a different language?
We can change the language of vSphere (web) Client , but vCenter itself is always english, is it?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You can change default locale for vCenter installed on Windows machine. However, vCenter Server Virtual Appliance does not support that. Thanks.
Regnor
VeeaMVP

Post by Regnor »

Hey Vladimir,
so does changing the default locale relate to the statement "Only English version of VMware Infrastructure is supported"?
And will customers get limited or no support when the change the locales?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, that's correct. Various issues might be expected when locale is changed from English to other languages.
Regnor
VeeaMVP

Post by Regnor »

Hi Vitaly,
so does this mean limited or no support at all?

I only know one customer with changed local settings in vCenter but it would be great if you could add that requirement on your website, helpcenter, etc
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If local characters are used (for example umlauts), then executing some operations would be unsupported.
Regnor
VeeaMVP

Post by Regnor »

OK umlauts are bad practice anyway and normally you wouldn't use them; I'll check if it's possible to use them for VMs.
To mention support again; will a customer have any limitations regarding technical support?
I understand that if the problem is related to the language, Veeam won't fix it, but will the engineer refuse to help right away?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I understand that if the problem is related to the language, Veeam won't fix it, but will the engineer refuse to help right away?
I doubt that you will be refused, if you come across general VMware or Veeam issue, not specifically related to chosen locale. Nevertheless, it would not harm to clarify this question with support team directly. Thanks.