Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Sablerider
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Alexander Neunsinger

Feature request - periodically full backup

Post by Sablerider »

Hi There,

It would be great if you can configure a periodically full backup in the Backup-Configuration. I am aware of the manual possibility, but thats not what we are searching for.

Event storage producers as EMC, netapp, and so on declare that forever incremental is way to dangerous in a productive enviroment because the database-file could become corrupted.

An option like "do a full backup every x days, or x month" combined with auto-deletion of old full backups "keep the last 3 full backups" would be great.

Cheers,
Alex
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Feature request - periodically full backup

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Alex,

First: we have different mechanisms to ensure that this issue doesn't arise. But putting up my en-user hat, I do understand your concern a bit.

The issue I see, is that building this in will make the solution not so end-user friendly anymore. You will need more target storage (in my case, your example would overrun my 1 TB USB disk (yes, I have a lot of data :-))) and for most end-users, your retention is difficult to understand. End-users want something very simple (fire-and-forget)

Can you explain us in what situations you want to use this type of backup? Is this for servers? Corporate endpoints? What is going to be your target? And so on...

The better we understand your (and everyone else) use-case, the better we can prepare future versions.

All feedback is welcome

Thanks

Mike
Sablerider
Influencer
Full Name: Alexander Neunsinger

Post by Sablerider »

Hi Mike,

We are a MSP (Multi Service Provider) and we plan to implement this solution for quick client-restores in case of an hardware fault of an end-user-client. We want to sell this to our custormers as a service and need to rely on secure full backups.

Cheers,
Alex
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Alexander,

Are you using labtech? In that case we announced the integration for it a couple of weeks ago... http://www.veeam.com/blog/centralized-m ... btech.html
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Alexander, out of curiosity - how many endpoint do you plan to protect with Veeam Endpoint Backup?
guitarfish
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times

Post by guitarfish »

I made a feature request for periodic Fulls also, back in May, 2015. Any chance this will be incorporated? I haven't been using VEB yet because of not having it.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Any chance this will be incorporated?
Of course. More requests we get - more chances it is going to be implemented with higher priority. :wink:
pallingd
Novice
Full Name: Per Alling-Dam

Post by pallingd »

I have plenty of disk space but slow Internet connection.
I'd like an option for periodic fulls too. I need it for not having to copy too many restore points back from remote storage in case of disaster recovery, while still having the possibility of keeping a large number of restore points. Right now I keep 90 restore points, and it will take weeks to copy them back. Of course it would be quicker to send a NAS by courier, but the cost is exorbitant to the place I'm servicing.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi,

For now you can use a script with Task Scheduler to create a standalone full on a weekly basis if you want to have that functionality. That being said, when Veeam Agent for Windows 2.0 (VAW, new name of VEB) comes out, there will be an edition available that gives you more scheduling options. We will have beta's of them soon

Brgds,
Mike
pallingd
Novice

Post by pallingd »

Thanks for the info about v.2, Mike.
A standalone full every week isn't very usable. We would still have to transport the full chain before the newest incremental can be restored, because the newest incrementals cannot be added to the newest standalone full. The .vbk and the .vibs will have to be transported back on site because unstable Internet makes it impossible to read directly from the remote repository.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Understood, and we hear you. I hope that you will try out the new beta and see if it fits your needs better :-)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi pallingd,

Any chance you are using Veeam B&R as a target?
pallingd
Novice

Post by pallingd »

Hi Dima

Not in this case, I'm not. It's just a single Windows 2012 R2 Essentials with about 15 clients placed in Myanmar. The clients use Windows Essentials built-in backup to the server which backs itself up with Veeam Endpoint to a NAS (which Windows Backup cannot handle, strangely enough), and the NAS replicates the backup directory to a similar NAS here in Denmark. Should be easy, but not really so when Internet connection is cut off several times a day and in between works very varying speed.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

pallingd,

Thanks. I was going to suggest the backup copy job from one repository to another (with possibility to use WAN acceleration), but unfortunately that’s not the case.

P.S. Upcoming version of VAW will have an option to backup to cloud connect and backup cache feature (failover to local storage when client gets disconnected from primary target) This options might help you to solve this goal.