Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
matt_tulk
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Matt

Error: Cannot access VMX file of VM xxxxxxxx

Post by matt_tulk »

Hi All

I am posting this here because yet again I logged a ticket about 4 days ago and I have not have any sort of usefull support from veeam or any type of follow up from the engineer.

I am getting an error on one of of my VMs that used to be backing up fine.

The error is 10/11/2016 2:47:11 AM :: Failed to create processing task for VM PLCTSTMIM01 Error: Cannot access VMX file of VM 'PLCTSTMIM01'

Now I am not going to install Vsphere on my proxy as suggested by support because at the moment I am backing up 300 + virtual machines and my proxies are under huge load and we also in the middle of moving enviroments.

but I would like to know of anyone else on here has run into this issue clearly the VMX file is locked either from a stuck snapshot or yet again veeam hasnt cleaned up when its done a backup.

I would appreciate any advice on this one because support do not know how run and stay with an issue until its resolved.

They also dont appear to know how to pick up a phone call the customer and do a remote session to look at the issue properly.

Thanks in advanced :evil:
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Error: Cannot access VMX file of VM xxxxxxxx

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Matt,
I am posting this here because yet again I logged a ticket about 4 days ago and I have not have any sort of usefull support from veeam or any type of follow up from the engineer.
Could you provide your support case number? By the way, you always can escalate the support ticket to the upper level if you are not satisfied with the support assistance.
The error is 10/11/2016 2:47:11 AM :: Failed to create processing task for VM PLCTSTMIM01 Error: Cannot access VMX file of VM 'PLCTSTMIM01'
According to the forum`s rules we ask to work with the support team on such issues. Not because we want to repulse you back and forth, but because it`s hard to tell the reason without log investigation.
I would check permissions first. Does this happen with one or several VMs? Did the job work fine with the same configuration before?
Thanks!
matt_tulk
Novice

Post by matt_tulk »

its only one VM and it was backing up with out incident before.

The pernmissions on the VM have not been changed in anyway and i WAS trying to work with support but they are not responsive or will to pick up the phone and get on a session.

Support Request 01966496 and I have asked for it to be clsoed there is little to no point in opening a ticket to be provided half assed answers to a problem.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Matt,
I`ve reviewed the support case and indeed your issue has not been resolved there. I`ve asked the support team to re-open the case and provide better assistance on this case.
Next time if you're not satisfied with the level of support you've been provided, feel free to use the "Talk to Manager" option on the customer support portal to escalate your case and/or provide your feedback.
Thanks!
matt_tulk
Novice

Post by matt_tulk »

I have resolved the issue this is what I did.

1. Enabled SSH on the ESX server with the problem host.
2. Used WINSCP to connect to the ESX server and browsed to the server volume in question which is located in VMS\Volumes
3. Edit the VMX file and clear the permission in the " other" field after comparing it to its secondary server.

the back up now ran last night with out any issues so you might want to give this information to your support guys this far easier then the solution i was given to install VSphere to the proxy and try and open the VMX file.

the problem here is veeam has obvisouly not cleaned up the file locks when it finished backing up.

Matt

Matt
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for updating, Matt!
Glad the issue is resolved.
doughorton
Novice
Full Name: Doug Horton

[MERGED] Cannot access VMX

Post by doughorton »

I'm new to Veeam, so I'm sure this is a simple configuration (or mis-configuration) issue, but I can't seem to determine what.

I just installed Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 (free edition) on a physical server (Windows 2008 R2). I added credentials under "Manage Credentials". The credentials are for a login created in the vSphere Permissions tab, with "administrative rights". The process reported that it was successful.

When I attempt to backup any of the 15 VMs we are running, I get the following messages:

Job started at...
Building VMs list
Failed to create processing task for VM <server> Error: Cannot access VMX file of VM on '<server>'
Job finished with error at...

I would appreciate any guidance you might have on this topic.
doughorton
Novice
Full Name: Doug Horton

Re: Failed to create processing task for VM... Cannot access

Post by doughorton »

I was able to download the VMX file via the vSphere client. I was not able to download the VMDK, however -- not sure that I should be able to since the VM is running, however.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Seems to be permissions-related problem. Check the answers above and this KB article. Thanks.