Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Pikok
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Peter Lemmens

Veeam - New server

Post by Pikok »

First of all I'd like to apologise if the question has been asked before. I've searched but, at a first glance, all questions are related to migrating a server. My situation is different.

Our current Veeam backup server is running on a VM. We have just received our new server on which Veeam will be installed. As we are using a completely different set-up we've decided to start from scratch.
Our environment isn't that large that this is a massive deal and migrating our current server isn't needed as we'll have new repositories on which we'd like to create new backups.

Now, here's where I am uncertain on what to do next. We have 6 cores licensed and, as soon as the new server is deployed and the first job runs, we'll exceed those 6 cores. The idea is to decomission the old server ASAP, however for testing purposes I'd like to run a few backup jobs on the new server first before I shut down the old one.
Should I worry about exceeding my licensed cores for a day or two? Will this even work?

Thank you!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam - New server

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Peter, only source host (where backed up/replicated VMs reside) cores are licensed. Provided the new Veeam B&R server will back up the same source hosts, you do not have to worry.
Pikok
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Peter Lemmens

Re: Veeam - New server

Post by Pikok »

Super! Thank you so much for the fast response. I'll know what to do tonight ;)