Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
y1008946
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Moving host and datastore

Post by y1008946 »

Hi, we had a single host with one datastore, the vms on it were backed up using

backup jobs to a another onsite host and backup copy jobs to an off site host.

We now have new two hosts managed by vcenter and a datastore on a storage system.

I have gone into a backup job and removed the vm for the job and re added it chosing the vm from the new datastore.

The backup size was very large though.

What is the correct process when changing a vms host and datastore to make sure the backup jobs and backup copy jobs remain working as they did?

Many thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Moving host and datastore

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi,

When you re-register VMs in the inventory (by adding it to the vCenter Server or switching from direct host to vCenter Server connection), these VMs are treated as new ones, that's why you see a spike on the backup size when backing up VMs. Please search these forums for more info on this behavior.

The correct way would be to re-add these VMs to the job, re-add them in the backup copy job and your job will continue running as they did. Also, you may consider using backup mapping functionality > Step 6. Specify Backup Storage Settings (should be used when VM IDs remained intact).

Thanks!
y1008946
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Post by y1008946 »

Thanks Vitaliy

This is what I did though, I went to the backup job and virtual machines.

I removed the VM and re added it from the new vcenter host.

When running the job though it looks like it did a full backup instead of an incremental.

When looking at the backup in veeam there are two vms listed

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I removed the VM and re added it from the new vcenter host. When running the job though it looks like it did a full backup instead of an incremental.
As Vitaliy's said, this is an expected behaviour. VMs in question got new IDs assigned, thus, they wered treated as new ones. Thanks.