Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
LampchenKo
Influencer
Liked: never

IP Change on Backup Storage (Impact?)

Post by LampchenKo »

Hello...

I need to change the IP Address of my Backup Storage (ExaGrid 13000E); all my Veeam repositories are pointing to this device via IP and it is added as a Linux Server in Managed Servers. I would like to continue my backup chains as they are after the change takes place. Is this possible or I will have to start a new chain ?

Also, my ESXi servers where all the VMs being backed up are will change IP and they are added under vSphere in Managed Servers. Will this also affect the change ? If I do loose the chains and need to start new ones, will I still be able to access everything that has already been backed up ?

Thanks in advance.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: IP Change on Backup Storage (Impact?)

Post by veremin »

I believe that this script must be used to update both repository IP and ESXi one. Run the script , using IP of either repository or ESXi server as searching criteria (first string). Thanks.
LampchenKo
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by LampchenKo »

Thanks, v.Eremin... I will read it through. Any thoughts about the IP change on the ExaGrid ?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I don't think there will be any problems, as long as you run a script and change an IP of Linux managed server properly. Though, I haven't tried that personally.

If you don't feel confident, asking support for assistance might be way to go.

Thanks.
response3
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: BG

[MERGED] Change repository IP address

Post by response3 »

I have an EMC Data Domain that is only used for copy jobs and needs an IP change. We are using IP addresses to connect to the repository rather than DNS name and are unsure what the correct process should be. Does anyone have a simple way to do this?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

The simplest way would be using the script mentioned above.
response3
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: BG

Post by response3 »

I followed the script instructions and it failed with the same error as the user in that thread. When he resolved the script issue, the jobs failed and he was instructed to contact support. I want to avoid potential issues. Can you point me to another method?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can contact support and ask for assistance with doing this. There's also another procedure for moving the repository, however, it requires more manual operations.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

As an aside, the challenges in this thread are exactly why it's may be wise to use DNS for different Veeam components such as repositories rather than IP address. That way if you need to reIP, say, a repository there shouldn't be any impact on VBR. I had a customer do precisely this with a Windows repo that was moved from one site to another. All they had to do was update the A record in DNS after moving the repo and everything "just worked."

Joe