Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sta-bitbw
Novice
Liked: never

After SQL restore database appears twice in Veem report

Post by sta-bitbw »

Hallo all.

I have set up an application aware SQL transaction log backup with backup interval of 15 minutes. This works ok.

After a point-in-time restore Veeam shows in every backup report two instances of the restored database. Once in state Protected, the other in state Excluded. The error message states "Transaction logs from some databases were not backed up for the last <n> intervals".

I can make this go away with manually starting a VM backup (scheduled to run once a day). After this Veeam reports the database only once in state Proteced.

Is this a Veeam issue or is it something with my backup/restore setup?
I guess the VM backup does a database backup that maybe fixes some transaction log things caused by the restore. Is a database backup required after every restore as part of standard recovery procedure?

Thank you,
Thomas.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: After SQL restore database appears twice in Veem report

Post by foggy »

Hi Thomas, this is expected in case you've performed restore to original location. After the database is restored and until the moment of the next VM backup the Veeam B&R cannot backup it's logs, since there's no backup of the database itself, so the restored database is excluded from the logs processing. Once the SQL server is backed up, the database is switched to protected, instead of the database existed prior the restore.
sta-bitbw
Novice

Post by sta-bitbw »

Thank you for the explanation.

Have a nice day.
Thomas
R.Stuivenberg
Service Provider
Full Name: Richard Stuivenberg

Post by R.Stuivenberg »

I have the same problem, I can understand that when there has been a restore that until the moment of the next backup I get this error message.

Only a few days later I still get the same error messages and one DB is excluded and one Protected.... I get the message "Transaction logs from some databases were not backed up for the last <n> intervals".
The Excluded DB gives me 23 errors....

Thanks
Richard
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Richard, in this case please contact technical support for a closer look at why this is happening. Thanks.
Irene L.
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Irina Lentsner

Post by Irene L. »

Hi foggy, it seems like expected, however it is confusing indeed, maybe there is a chance that we do somethung about it. here is the full picturel:
1) SQL backup job and every 10 mins log backup- OK
2) Restoring DB point-in-time to riginal location -> right after this DB state in SQL log report is Excluded - also OK
3)After image-level backup of the parent SQL job t in the SQL log Report here are 2 entries, listing the same DB with the same name: 1 excluded &1 protected state- that one is confusing.
For me it stayed the same until i disabled and enabled the parent job, after this everything returned back to normal, just as it was in p.1
It seems like its expected behavior, but doesn`t seem to be right one.
yakamoneye18
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Tobias

Post by yakamoneye18 »

Hello everyone,
we are having this issue too, and it is a bit anoying getting error messages while there is in fact no error.
Our setting:
we have a DB server with our productive database, and in the same instance we have different test databases that can be used by developers to try out new code. From time to time, our DB admin replaces the test DBs with a current backup of the productive DB. In the past he did this with the MSSQL backup and restore features, since we use Veeam to backup the server he uses the "Restore to another server..." feature, makes a restore from the productive DB to the test DB. This process will delete the test DB and recreate it. The productive DB has transaction logs enabled, the test DBs have transaction logs disabled.
Yesterday, he did a restore - at 4 pm the restore was finished. Directly after the restore, the test DB is set to the Full Revocery mode (like the productive DB), but our DB admin always immediately sets it to Simple after the restore. At 10 pm an incremental server backup was started. After this backup, the errors started - as far as i understood, the error should only be present until the next image level backup is started. In fact, with us the error message only starts after the next image level backup. In the veeam logs, we have the same issue,

How can we prevent this - what are we doing wrong?

Thanks for the help

Tobias
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Tobias, I recommend contacting technical support to verify whether this behavior is expected. Thanks!
yakamoneye18
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Tobias

Post by yakamoneye18 » 1 person likes this post

I created a support ticket, Case Nr. 03231355.