Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
chriskeuk
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Keuk

Truncate

Post by chriskeuk »

Hello,

I have an Exchange server that we are needing to backup and we ran a backup on a database. Is it suppose to truncate the logs? If so, how do we enable that option or how are we suppose to setup the backup?

Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Truncate

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Chris and welcome to the community!
If an application on the computer uses transaction logs to maintain the database consistency, Veeam Endpoint Backup automatically truncates transaction logs upon successful backup.
Note that Veeam Endpoint Service runs under the LocalSystem account. On Microsoft SQL Server 2012, this account does not have necessary permissions to truncate transaction logs. If you want Veeam Endpoint Backup to automatically truncate transaction logs, you need to manually add the LocalSystem account to a group that has the SQL Server System Administrator rights.
chriskeuk
Novice

Post by chriskeuk »

Ok. I'll add the LocalSystem account to an administrator group on the SQL Server.

So, when I configure a backup, do I need to select a database and the log files or do I just select the database?
chriskeuk
Novice

Post by chriskeuk »

Could I run the backup under the admin login? Will that make a difference. Sorry for these question but I'm fairly new to Veeam and it looks like our exchange server will crash by tomorrow because of the log files.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Chris,

I am a bit confused honestly. Are we talking SQL or Exchange? In the case of Exchange, the admin most probably has the correct rights to do the truncation and therefore the truncation will automatically happen at the end of the successful backup. Are you seeing it differently? Please don't forget to include the system volumes also, otherwise truncation won't happen

Thanks
Mike
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi chriskeuk,

What backup mode are you using? Exchange is installed on the server OS, right?
tsainami
Lurker

Post by tsainami »

Active Support Case : 02429802

Is there an update to this chain.

I'm having issues with this as well.
Environement:

Windows Veeam Agent
Exchange 2010. 4 Node Cluster DAG. Windows 2008r2.

2DB's / 2 Archive DB's in the DAG
4 active PUB Folders (1 on each node)

I'm successfully able to Backup and truncate DAG DB's and logs (including archive) on the the two Passive nodes without any issues. The issue is with the active nodes not able to truncate the Public Folders even though the backup completes successfully.

Need help understanding why i'm able to perform this on some but not all the nodes in the DAG Cluster
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi tsainami,

I just checked your case ID and it looks like it is in waiting mode for your follow-up. Is everything solved at this point in time?

Brgds,
Mike