Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
glamic26
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times

Feature Request - Better logging

Post by glamic26 »

Support keep telling me that feature/product requests are best posted on this forum. To be honest it find that backwards and frustrating that having discussed an issue in a support request the support team are not able to sufficiently recommend feature requests from customer support cases within their own company, and instead the customer has to open an account on a public forum to raise the issue, without any of the supporting ticket information.

Anyway ... For the second time in two weeks we have had to open an urgent case with Veeam due to what was perceived as Veeam performance issues. Like 1KB/s speeds instead of 300MB/s for some VMs. Unfortunately, neither I nor Veeam support were able to track down the root cause of the issue using the information in the GUI or in the log files. In the end the first issue was tracked down to one extent within the SOBR having issues so severe that we could not even complete normal file copies. I found this through my own troubleshooting and even after escalating the Veeam case the Veeam engineers were unable to find anything that pointed anywhere near the actual problem extent. I think the issue was that it wasn't the extent that the backup was being written to at the time, but rather a .vrb file from earlier in the chain was sitting on the faulty extent and this causes the VMs to back up painfully slowly (1KB/s is basically not at all). I'm not sure why the job log files weren't able to identify this.

The second occasion was a Backup copy Job that is running slowly and has identified in the job GUI that it is the source that is the bottleneck. The problem here is that neither in the job GUI nor in the Veeam log files that I uploaded to Veeam support does it actually identify which extent/file is causing the problem. We have per-VM feature turned on with 11 extents in the source SOBR and 50 VMs so the problem could literally be any of those 11 extents and nothing within the Veeam job or logs is able to identify which one is causing the problem. Veeam support suggested running disk performance tests on all of the extents. I'm sorry but Veeam is supposed to be a scalable product. That isn't the case if once you start to scale your environment it becomes near impossible to identify which parts of it are causing performance issues from within the product itself.

My product request, therefore, is for a major improvement in the information that is provided in the jobs, or in the logs, particularly surrounding the SOBRs which seem very limited. I feel as though it should be very easy to see just by looking at the job GUI exactly which proxies/SOBRs/extents (both source and target) are being used for every per-VM backup file. This would then enable far quicker performance troubleshooting for both users and Veeam support who seem equally frustrated by the lack of information.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Feature Request - Better logging

Post by foggy »

glamic26 wrote:To be honest it find that backwards and frustrating that having discussed an issue in a support request the support team are not able to sufficiently recommend feature requests from customer support cases within their own company, and instead the customer has to open an account on a public forum to raise the issue, without any of the supporting ticket information.
If you provide the case ID along with your request, we will have access to all the information. One of the purposes of these forums is collection and discussion of feature requests. Posting here allows other community members, feeling that this or that feature is also relevant, to chime in and provide their vision, as well as makes it easier to keep similar requests together for demand estimation.

Anyway, thank you for this feedback, sounds reasonable. I also recommend looking at this Veeam ONE dashboard that could be useful in this kind of troubleshooting.
Iain_Green
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Iain Green

Post by Iain_Green » 1 person likes this post

@Foggy Case REF was 01985469.
Many thanks

Iain Green
plandata_at
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Plandata Datenverarbeitungs GmbH

Post by plandata_at »

I would like to give my Support to the Feature request of bether logging. (also bether Display of Errors in gui)

Most of the time error logs in gui in Veeam can't be tracked down to a specific part of the Environment (VM, etc.) End even in the logfiles it's not always clear.
I love Veeam because of easy restore features, but i really miss our last backupsoftware when it comes to troubleshooting......