Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
adamdevey
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Adam Devey

Error: Unable to perform entire computer backup to an intern

Post by adamdevey »

Hello,
Thanks for the free software guys!

I have just got a new SSD to replace my HDD and I want a backup so in case my SSD was to fail I could just restore my computer again if needed.
The HDD is in my laptop in a HDD Mount,
I am trying to setup the backup...
Entire computer -> Local Storage -> HDD Drive (D:) ->Schedule Options -> Error: Unable to perform entire computer backup to an internal disk
Now I read online that you suggested Volume level backup in this case but I am unsure as to weather I could restore my computer on a brand new hard drive that way? Would the computer be just like it was if it was backed up?
Also if I got a virus but did not have a restore point for instance and I wanted to recover it to a point when I did not have the virus and the latest backup version had the virus is there a way to go back to a certain time? Thank you in advance and I hope I am making sense.

My support case number is 02013281.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Error: Unable to perform entire computer backup to an in

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Adam,

Entire computer backup to the internal volume is not recommended because in case of hard drive failure you will lose you all backup files, thus we have this limitation. Volume level backup is a possible workaround, just select all volumes including the system partition. Bare Metal Recovery will work in such case too, but please keep in in mind that it’s not a recommended scenario.
daystrom
Expert
Liked: 8 times

[MERGED] Can't backup whole computer to internal disk, so?

Post by daystrom »

I'd like to have a removable hdd as the destination for a veeam agent 3.0.1 backup of the entire pc, but that's not allowed. If I select the Volume Level backup type, and select the partitions that comprise the workstation minus the removable drive, will I be able to perform a bare metal restore of the pc?
daystrom
Expert
Liked: 8 times

Re: Can't backup whole computer to internal disk, so?

Post by daystrom »

I had not noticed the "OS" choice in the volume selection dialog. I suppose that means that it's going to grab whatever is needed to restore the OS. Some confirmation would be good, and I need to test it of course.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Error: Unable to perform entire computer backup to an intern

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, selecting OS components should help you in the bare metal recovery. Please check out the thread and this UG page for more info.
TopTierIT
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Rea

Post by TopTierIT »

I have 4 disks in my machine. 1st is OS, 2nd I want OS backup, 3rd is data and 4th I want as data backup. They are all SSDs. 1st is 500GB, 3rd is 1TB. With these being on separate disks, I want to backup to the 2nd and 4th disks respectively. But the agent wont allow me to.

I know I can do it the other way, Volume Level backup, but would prefer a way to override the "unable to perform entire..." since they are totally separate disk, thus the first backup.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

"entire" means "entire". So allowing to backup "entire" to a part of itself makes no sense. You already know the solution :-)

Best regards,
Hannes