Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
L33T
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: V334M

Veeam Replication From Snapshot

Post by L33T »

Hi,

We are to implement replication from a Datacentre to a DR site through a 1gb dark fibre link on the same subnet. What i`m not sure about is how to go about it in terms of using just veeams replication or utilise our existing netapp / snapmirroring. We are also looking at possibly going nimble but i`m not sure what integration their is with this in v9.5.

Any thoughts on how to achieve Hyper-V Cluster replication and failover?

Regards,
marco.horstmann
Veeam Software
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Marco Horstmann

Re: Veeam Replication From Snapshot

Post by marco.horstmann »

Hi leet,

with Hyper-V we have no such deep integration for any storage vendor. We can only leverage the storage systems snapshots
via hardware VSS provider provided by e.g. NetApp or Nimble for backup or replicate the VMs.

When you configure only native storage based replication, you have to do all rescans, VM registrations, etc. by your own.
And this takes a lot of time in disaster and you can make many mistakes.

I think from usability perspective it would be better for you to use Veeam Replication.

Regards
Marco
Marco Horstmann
Senior System Engineer @ Veeam Software

@marcohorstmann
https://horstmann.in
VMware VCP
NetApp NCIE-SAN for 7-Mode and Clustered Ontap
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2717 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam Replication From Snapshot

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You can use both technologies to achieve higher RPO. Storage snapshots will help you to mirror data to the another NetApp storage, while running Veeam replication jobs will allow you to do application-consistent replicas. BTW, how many VMs do you plan to replicate and what's your RPO and RTO?