Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
MikaelG
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mikael Gustafsson

Backup Copy cycles

Post by MikaelG »

Hi,

I have 2 jobs covering the same VM. One runs 3 times a day and it keeps restore points to cover 1 week. The other job runs each night and it keeps restore point for 3 months. Now I would like to set up a backup copy job that copies the latest restore point from either job. And that it does it right after the jobs finnishes. I´ve tried to set the backup copy jobs cycle to 1 per hour but then it never finds an up-to-date restore point. If I set the cycle to once a day it does find a restore point but only copies once a day? So how can I achieve what I want?

Thanks,

Mikael
EugeneK
Veeam Software
Liked: 43 times
Full Name: Eugene Kashperovetskyi

Re: Backup Copy cycles

Post by EugeneK »

Hi Mikael,

Backup Copy Job will search for the latest restore point for a VM and use it to process data. The process is well described at
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95
and
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

When you configured it to run daily, the latest restore point got copied over as expected, then it declares "already processed this VM Copy today".
If you set the interval to more frequent one, lets say hourly, it should have found the restore point. I'd recommend to check the logs for both, primary and Copy backup jobs and correlate the status of files and timestamps and see if the files weren't in consumable state.
Eugene K
VMCA, VCIX-DCV, vExpert
MikaelG
Influencer

Post by MikaelG »

Thanks , I'll look at those links. However I think I remember reading that there is some calculation being done to find the restore Pont. Time of day > resroepoint - cycle. I don't remember exactly, but when I set the cycle to hourly it didn't find anything. I'll read the links and see if I understand better, thanks.
MikaelG
Influencer

Post by MikaelG »

I´ve read that link again and I according the calcutalion Veeam makes it should copy the restore point created latest but it doesn´t. It just says latest restore point already copied. I´ll open a case to get it sorted.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Maybe root cause is that the BCJ target is the same repositories as one of your BCJ source repositories?
Please updated this thread with the case number. Thank you.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Mikael, I also wonder how have you added the VM to the backup copy job? And what is your goal with this backup copy - do you want it to copy every restore point produced by both backup jobs?