Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Perry
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Perry

Merge after restore

Post by Perry »

I restored a VM backup successfully using Veeam. After the restore, a check point for my VM appeared in the Hyper-V manager. I no longer need the check point so I deleted it from Hyper-V Manager which caused a .avhd to .vhd merge as expected. When I start the VM now I get a Boot Failure. The merge must have screwed the image up since the VM did boot before the merge. What is the proper procedure to restore here? I feel I probably didn't do something right.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1407 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Merge after restore

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Was it a Instant VM Recovery ? Then you need to start the data transport at the running Instant VM Recovery Job that can be found on top of the Backup & Replication menu.

If production is affected you can open a Support case www.veeam.com/support with Severity 1 to get help immediately.
Perry
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Perry

Post by Perry »

Yes it was an Instant VM Recovery. Don't really understand what an instant VM recovery is. I am new to this and the documentation assumes the reader knows a lot of terms that are not further explanation. Not clear what a data transport is in this context and what to do? Production is not affected. I am just testing to understand how this works.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Instant VM Recovery means that you started the VM from the backup repository in order to be up and running quickly. But in that case, it is not the definitive restore as it is running on the backup storage and most probably not on the production storage. That's why you need to finalize the restore (in the background) and that is also why there is an avhd(x) running at that moment.

It is explained in detail here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

If you think you need more information from this documentation, please let us know so we can have a look at it