Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
marieelieg
Expert
Liked: 8 times

Question regarding replica mapping

Post by marieelieg »

Hi everyone.
I have a fairly simple question regarding replica mapping.

I have a main site containing a Hyper-V cluster and a DR site containing another Hyper-V cluster. I want to do replication between the sites but I don’t want to do the first replication over WAN since it’s a slow network. If I copy existing VMs from the main site to DR (copy VHDK files from main site to USB / Hard Disk and paste them from USB / Hard Disk to DR site), can I use the Replica Mapping feature to only send changes over the network once I start the Veeam replication over WAN?

This way, I will skip the first replication over WAN by physically exporting the VHDK files to a hard disk and import them in DR, but I need to make sure that Veeam will see the VMs in DR as a replica and will only send the changes.

If not, please advise what can I do to avoid the initial replication over WAN.

Furthermore, when I add the DR Hyper-V cluster to the Veeam Console, does it need any additional license if I only want to use it as a target for replication?
In other words, when I add this DR cluster to the Veeam console (in order to use as a target for replication), will it give me an error saying I need to buy additional licenses? Or only if I try to backup from it will it give me a license error?

Thanks everyone for your help. :D
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Question regarding replica mapping

Post by foggy »

Yes, you can map replication jobs to avoid sending the entire VMs (or use replica seeding alternatively) and you do not need additional licenses for the target hosts.
marieelieg
Expert
Liked: 8 times

Re: Question regarding replica mapping

Post by marieelieg » 1 person likes this post

Hi foggy. Thanks for your help.

Sorry I could not answer before. These past few weeks have been super crazy at work.

I actually used seeding as a first step and then mapping. That worked.

Thank you! :D