Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rstone
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Rob Stone

Veeam Copies

Post by rstone »

My latest issue with Veeam (and I get many) is that random VM's don't do a "VMware Backup Copy" off site. Before Christmas I had some VM's wouldn't copy, worked OK over Christmas and this year a different set have stopped working. The Error is :-

Code: Select all

05/01/2017 13:22:11 :: Error: An unexpected network error occurred.
Failed to read data from the file [\\nas\backups\2008 VM_s\2008 VM's2016-12-30T183136.vbk].
Failed to upload disk.
Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.
Exception from server: An unexpected network error occurred.
Failed to read data from the file [\\nas\backups\2008 VM_s\2008 VM's2016-12-30T183136.vbk].
Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [29].
Failed to download disk.
I have tried everything Google can through at me and I defiantly don't have any Network Issues. I'm getting so desperate I'm considering ditching Veeam and starting again with a different backup software. Before you ask My provider has booked a call with Veeam (case ref is # 02028477) and not heard from them. The last time they looked they suggested reducing the amount of off-site restore points which I have done but the issue still occurs.

I'm on Veeam version 9.0.0.1715 and my off-site copies goto a QNAP NAS.

I don't think anyone will have any solutions as VEAM, MY VEEAM PROVIDER AND GOOGLE hasn't helped but any suggestions welcome so I can get some sleep tonight!!

Thank you.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Veeam Copies

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Rob,

Unfortunately I can't give you any tip more than what is already discussed in the support call. At this moment I noticed that our support engineer is actually trying to contact you (or your provider, not sure who logged the call). So please keep working with our support engineer to try and get to the root cause of this

Thanks
Mike
rstone
Enthusiast

Post by rstone »

No solution from Veeam so I suppose I have give up with copy jobs. Perhaps try two backups one on site and one off and not have copies. Everytime I get a nice set of backup on disk I have to start again. Hey Ho.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Rob, are you backing up directly to the remote QNAP or you have a gateway server located close to it (btw, what type of repository it is - CIFS?)? What kind of connection do you have, what are the typical backup speeds and bottleneck stats for the copy job?
rstone
Enthusiast

Post by rstone » 1 person likes this post

Thank you for your reply; I have at last sorted this issue, me not Veeam or my third party :) by disabling TCP checksum on the veeam server everything is now working correctly, cross fingers.

I got the clue from vmware-vsphere-f24/veeam-8-possible-cbt ... 28-15.html even though this was a different issue.
rstone
Enthusiast

Post by rstone »

False Alarm, perfect copies for over a week and back to lots of errors again; sign.

Yes Cifs repository and direct to the QNAP.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Foggy was wondering whether there is a gateway server in remote location closer to CIFS share configured on top QNAP device. Having gateway server should increase reliability of your solution and help you avoid multiple issues. Thanks.
rstone
Enthusiast

Post by rstone »

Yes thank you, I have a gateway server at the remote location.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Please ask your support engineer for further investigation.