Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
john.heimiller
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: John Heimiller

Feature Request - SQL one-off Transaction Log Backups

Post by john.heimiller » 1 person likes this post

I am a SQL DBA and forced to use Veeam SQL Backup for our Enterprise Backup solution.

Veeam maintains the Log Chain. I often have a need to do a one-off SQL Transaction Log backup to "maintain" the transaction log of a given Database....for instance to shrink the log during disk issues. There are other reasons.

This, of course breaks the Veeam log chain and creates a hole in the Veeam restore point-in-time continuity.
So we get a lot of Veeam tlog alerts until our next nightly backup....and have that hole.

Certainly after doing this I can run a full backup job to get that one database's Veeam timeline "patched up". But this is overkill and takes a lot of time...and there is still a hole.

If I could easily (key point) and quickly (another key point) take a tlog backup that would be saved to the Veeam repository and be part of the log chain, that would be great. Also, regarding "quickly"...could it be a client app or a line command (Powershell cmdlet would be real nice)?

Note: I was directed her from a DISQUS replay below:
= = = = = = = = = = = = =
Polina Vasileva > JohnHMET • an hour ago
Hi JohnHMET,
Unfortunately this scenario isn't currently supported. You can request this feature at Veeam forums veeam... and our R&D team will take it into account for future releases.
= = = = = = = = = = = = =

Thanks
sasilik
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Markko Meriniit

Re: Feature Request - SQL one-off Transaction Log Backups

Post by sasilik » 1 person likes this post

veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Or VeeamZIP, if you're after solely independent restore point. Thanks.
johannesk
Expert
Liked: 31 times
Full Name: Jóhannes Karl Karlsson

Post by johannesk »

The VeeamZIP solution has no relevance to what John is talking about. John is maintaining the SQL transaction logs - and needs to do it in a way that interrupts the SQL log backup chain that Veeam is mainaining already. Thus he is aware that his DBA actions are interrupting the Veeam Backup process, hence he needs a way to do it 'Veeam Way' and still have the transaction log truncated.
peterj
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Peter Janas

Post by peterj »

ditto - I am a DBA forced to use VEEAM. We need VEEAM to do adhoc SQLserver transaction log backups to keep the backup chain intact.
tpayton
Veeam Software
Liked: 81 times
Full Name: Tyler Payton

Post by tpayton »

A Quick Backup will resolve this and can be triggered via PowerShell.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ackup.html

This will generate an ad-hoc incremental backup of the SQL VM, and contained within that will be the full SQL backup that will allow the SQL Transaction Log backups to resume.
Tyler Payton
Customer Experience Manager / KB Manager